Thursday, September 7, 2017

I don't know Pandora personally, but, I did open a box this morning and this is what tumbled out.

Good morning and welcome. Today we are celebrating Thursday, September 7, 2017. I'm always happy when my watch makes the transition from one month to the other without me needing to adjust it. It has to do with that old memory aid rhyme, "Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November; February has twenty-eight alone All the rest have thirty-one Except in Leap Year, that's the time When February's Days are twenty-nine." I think there was one you could do on your knuckles, but, those types of things tend to get filed in the archive cabinet that hasn't been seen or heard from in a very long time. There's no telling how much good stuff I would have to share if I could ever get my hands on the contents of that cabinet. In the meantime, we persevere, and in so doing, we carry on. Every once in a while I think I've found something from that archive only to be told by others that is not the way they recall it happening. I have read some about false memories. Most of us have them. It has something to do with an alternative recollection. Typically, they are not harmful. That means my recollection of being the hero and saving the day as a kid may not be an exact reflection of the facts. That was a joke. However, I must tell you, that at times, I do wonder what went with that cape I used to wear.

My most viewed blog by a huge margin was from January 5, 2011, entitled "Sound the alarm! The Boomers are coming! The Boomers are coming!" That blog was viewed 3,324 times. Here's an excerpt from the first paragraph: "You may not have known that I am a part of an elite group who will, beginning this year, start to wreak havoc on all the systems and services of the United States government. That's right. It's not the British this time who are coming, it is the boomers, as the leading edge of those of us born after WW2 begin to turn 65. That would be 1946 through 1964 to be precise and they tell us that myself and my brothers and sisters will be clogging up the systems at the tune of 10,000 per day until all 70 million plus of us are officially in the elderly care group. My coming of age party doesn't land until August but I am a member of the first wave, therefore, be aware that I put you on notice because the blooming boomers are coming to a clinic near you. Just joking but only in a nervous sort of way. I watched a segment on the PBS News Hour this past Monday evening about this avalanche about to be experienced and it does have the think tanks working in overload mode trying to figure out how all this can be accommodated without sinking the already weak economy. How did this happen? The war ended. The warriors returned home and reconnected with their families and that led to a population explosion which will dramatically alter the demographic landscape especially when it comes to the age segments within our nation. If all us boomers become a voting block, look out, we may have everyone in the Congress sporting gray or no hair! How funny is that?"


My next blog with the most views had 1838 views, therefore, we boomers obviously were then and still are interested in anything that pertains to our reality. There are those who have attempted to cater to this generation. There is a cruise ship, "The World", that offers apartments and condos to people who want to live on the ship more or less permanently while they travel the world. Believe it or not, boomers are huge purchasers of technology related products. One article stated that 85% of boomers research products and services on the internet before making a purchasing decision. Even a company like Apple states that over 40% of their sales are to people in this category. I know that not all boomers are well off, however, it is true, as a group, many do have assets and wealth. I recently heard Dr. David Jeremiah talking about why God has blessed folks with resources. What would be God's reason for allowing us to have means? Dr. Jeremiah used Joseph from the Bible as an illustration of someone who used his God given talents and abilities to provide for a nation and in many respects, the world, by sharing what he had with others. One estimate puts the value of the wealth of the boomer generation at over $30 trillion dollars. That's with a 'T'. The question for me and for us all is this one. What will we do with all that God has given to us including our time, our talent, our testimony, and our treasure? Amen. ....More later.

No comments: