Monday, September 4, 2017

Happier Days Are Here Again

Monday, September 4, Labor Day, 2017, and I bid each and everyone a hearty hello. I am at home today celebrating the holiday. This past Saturday, we finally got the main piece of the puzzle back into place when the wife was able to leave storm plagued Louisiana to return to storm plagued Texas. She enjoyed her time spent with the elder statesman of her family, Cleon, her remaining brother, and as always, she is thrilled to spend time with her twin, Dorothy, who was born 18 months ahead of her. She was actually doing her best to help coordinate stuff here from over there. She was the one pushing for Jimmy and I to get our hands on a generator. I had turned down several offers hoping that power would be restored. The next thing I knew, she had given our address to this very sweet couple who delivered a brand new unit for us to use. It was good because our Jimmy needed a break from the heat and humidity, but after all, I thought I was the commander-in-chief here on the front lines. She would take exception to my reasoning on why I had not accepted a unit that had been offered by several different people. Her way of explaining it, too obstinate and stubborn. I think it sounds better the way I explained it. The good news is that she is now home and we are so thankful for that. Especially, for any of those who had to deal with what our Jimmy called, Grumpy Claus. Who ever heard tell?

I do have a sensitive side. The other morning when I returned to work and found the electricity to be on, my computer was working, and my Keurig up and ready, well, I plugged in that first little Community 100% Columbia Alutra K-cup and the aroma began to waft like a cool breeze on a hot summer day, well, it brought a tear to my eye. THAT SMELL! Well, I think it brought a tear to my eye. It could have been that little 'D' cell fan blowing directly into my face all night that brought on a case of sniffles. But, I distinctly remember, there was a tear. My 'at work' office Keurig is the huge unit passed down to me from my eldest son. It thinks it is an espresso maker and I couldn't be more proud. He is real stingy with how much water he injects to the extent the first cup will cause that cat to scamper right on top of your grave. (That's how we used to describe that chill on the back of one's neck.) I do thank Jimmy for carrying my little one cup home Keurig to our behind our house neighbor's place during our storm watch. She had power. He was good to go forth and back to fetch me a cup now and then. A few cups. Okay. Quite a few. He would make it in the little Keurig and then microwave it for one minute so that it would still be piping hot when he brought it back to me. That made our miserable situation so much better. It did. It really did.

I hope you recognize my attempt at humor regarding our experiences during this challenging time. I would never want to trivialize in any way whatsoever the plight of so many who have been devastated by this event. Some of the images we all have seen are almost too horrible to watch. ~ Those old people in the nursing home sitting in their wheel chairs with water over their waists. ~  That van where the great grandparents and five of their great grandchildren were swept away and all of them perished. One report said they all went to heaven holding hands. ~ The mom found dead with her baby clinging to her but the child was still alive. ~ Houses of every description with water up to the roof line. ~ The looks on the faces of families in shelters. ~ The death toll. ~ Yet, God designed us with a spirit to go on, to pick ourselves up, and with His help, to get on with the life He has given. I have prayed for and continue to do so over all these who are suffering. That lyric hit me as I was writing this paragraph, "Jesus is right for whatever is wrong in your life." Amen and Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: