Friday, September 15, 2017

I have more for you today than you can shake a stick at. (Lancaster Journal of Pennsylvania dated 5 August 1818: “We have in Lancaster as many Taverns as you can shake a stick at”.)

I feel a little like the fellow who gets to the top of the mountain and plants a flag. My flag would say, "I made it!" To Friday. September 15, 2017. I say that because this week has been a wee bit of an uphill climb for yours truly. Here's a word for us all today. Perseverance. This word has to do with us exercising steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement. (The theological context of the perseverance of the saints has to do with the concept of once saved always saved, and how that nothing can change that.) At any rate, persistent perseverance is a part of the makeup of many of my generation. It may not be as solid as those we followed, but, it is demonstrated in our determined commitment to the task before us. And, at the risk of sounding like an alarmist, I think it is something that is clearly lacking in many of the younger generations today. I don't mean that in a condescending or sour grapes way. It is more out of concern than anything else. I actually think many of the younger generations have a better handle on things like balancing work and family, however, at the same time, this is often used as an excuse for being undependable. Being undependable is a good way for me to describe many of the younger workers I observe. Sorry. But, take it from an old persistent perseverance guy, I think I know what it is when I see it. I do. I really do. 


I don't want to be perceived as the grumpy old man who yells how that things were so much better back in his day. I actually don't see it that way. At the same time, I do think that observations based on experience and knowledge can be helpful. That's it. I'm not complaining, just giving some wise input. You can't deny we are living in some really amazing times. Curt Schilling, the phenomenal major league baseball pitcher, was fired by ESPN for expressing his conservative views. He also is being kept out of the Baseball Hall of Fame for the same reason. Meanwhile, they have liberal commentators at ESPN who can say whatever they want to about President Trump and they get the 'free speech' pass. More NFL players are joining the so-called protest during the national anthem. Meanwhile, ratings are falling. (I suppose the NFL sees this as a 'free speech' matter, but, remember all the blowback when Tim Tebow took a knee in recognition of his heavenly Father.) Recently, an author opined how that going after minorities who loot after a natural disaster reflects white racism. Have we lost our minds? Also, something that supposedly has always been off limits, we recently witnessed two nominees for positions within the new administration enduring endless questioning regarding their conservative religious beliefs. One was castigated for affirming his belief that Jesus is the Savior and the only way to be made right with God. Those doing the questioning would not dare ask others in different religions those kinds of questions. Never. Just Christianity. One more time folks, we are living in some amazing times! 

Okay. I think I may have moved in the direction of becoming increasingly wordy over the past several weeks. My wife points that out to me from time to time. It can be a slippery slope. I may have slid down one or two slippery slopes growing up. Muddy banks make for good sliding down into the creeks. But, that was a long time ago. Believe it or not, in the preceding paragraph, there were many more examples of the double standards that have become the norm in our culture today. I could have used more, but, most of my readers know exactly what I am talking about. You think I'm kidding about that. Right? Here's one of the biggest of all. Think about all the relentless criticism hurled at First Lady Melania Trump, an immigrant and naturalized US citizen. It has been merciless. If one critical word was ever uttered about Michelle Obama it was immediately branded and condemned as being racist, period. I rest my case. For today. It's been an interesting week around these parts. I do hope you and yours are making it okay. I close by wishing everyone a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. May God watch over us all. Amen. See you next time. .....More later.

No comments: