Tuesday, September 19, 2017

"Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, an honest politician and an old drunk are walking down the street together when they simultaneously spot a hundred dollar bill. Who gets it? The old drunk, of course; the other three are mythological creatures." ~ copied

Last Thursday: Ready to go, ho ho ho!
Good morning and welcome to another day in the world I live in. It's Tuesday, September 19, 2017, and we continue to keep on keeping on, as best we can. With God's help. Of course. Last Thursday, I left work early, got home, cleaned up and made the transformation from the mere mortal that I play on most days to that jolly old fellow who sees you when you're sleeping. It was 90+ outside and I just had to pause and wonder about those guys who do this year round. God bless them. I did what I needed to do. Meanwhile, the wife went and started the car and put the A/C on maximum. I drove over to the professional studio where I met up with the lady we have worked with for many years. Once there, I worked with several sets of kids to establish a routine of all the planned photos. It didn't take me long to remember how involved this role can get. My first little customer was the cutest little boy who was maybe 18 months old. He wasn't that happy about Santa and he had on this little sweater that made him very slippery. And, he was very strong, as well. I will have to admit the combination of the sauna suit and this first little wrestling match, it took some of the zap out of my zip. I will say that driving around with the full-blown uniform does create quite a stir. On my way back home I pulled out to the street and had to wait for a few minutes. A lady waiting on the light spotted me and gave her little boy permission to unbuckle in the back seat and jump up front so he could see Santa. He was excited. He couldn't stop waving his arms. Okay. I admit it. I never get tired of seeing that kind of spontaneous joy. Think about it. I was just sitting there waving at him, but it made his day.

After finishing up with the promotional photos, I hurried home, changed back into my civies, and headed over for a potluck gathering of our Thursday evening Bible study group. Our dear Sister Pat Ervin hosted our group and there were about 20 of us who showed up for a time devoted to fellowship and feasting. The fellowship was great, as always. The food. Let me tell you about the food. It was like one of those best ever Church sponsored dinner on the grounds celebration we used to enjoy growing up. We had enough there to feed Cox's army. That's what Paw Paw Mac used to say. I never had any idea what he meant by that but another person there said their dad had always said the same thing. I wasn't taught this growing up but I have learned that when in doubt, Google it. Here's what I found: "When someone says there's enough to feed Coxey's Army or enough to feed Cox's Army, it means there's an excess beyond what is needed. The expression is southern that originated with American reformer and eccentric Jacob Sechler Coxey who led a march in Washington D.C. in 1894. The history of this expression is one that's true Americana." I'm not sure if my grandfather knew about this but he did know about food. One last thing about our potluck supper. Every dish was melt in your mouth delicious. You can never improve on made with love, homemade cooking. Never. Never. Never. And, I am unanimous in my opinion on that.

I'm not one to use the word hopeless very much. However, when we see what we are seeing, emanating from our nation's capital, well, I'm not sure what the future holds for our Republic. Maybe it took a lightning rod personality of a President Donald Trump to bring to the forefront what we've all seen in bits and pieces over the years. For the most part, government officials have become a club of sorts who are carrying on a mega scam. That scam is being played out on TV as these lifer politicians pontificate from all sides of their mouths. But, we knew this, didn't we? Yes and yes, but, now it's so clear no one can find a way to excuse or cover it up. It's not partisan per se. It's mostly me first politics. My tenure. My position. My power. I, for one, am sick to my stomach. Sorry. I did not take a pessimism pill this morning, but, if you see a ray of light coming out of Washington, well, you might want to get your eyes checked. I would start with myopia and go from there. Okay. Enough about that. I know. Many are tuning it out faster than a speeding bullet. I can't help but wonder if that too is not part of their strategy. You know. Maybe we all will get so sick, we will just leave them alone. This makes me long for that time when God will make all things right. That's where hope exists. He will do that. In His own good time. We have His word on it. I feel better. Take care and may God help us all including this broken country. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: