Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Genesis 2:21 "So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh."

Good morning, it's Tuesday, September 26, 2017, and I bid each one a hearty hello from here at the ole blogger ranch. Given the number of page views from the United Kingdom and other European locations, perhaps I should throw in a hello mid-day or a good afternoon, just to have all the bases covered. I know some of you may think that my raised voice on some subjects might be way over the top. Take, for instance, my thoughts about sleep. Just listening to people talk makes me aware of how serious a problem we have with those dealing with sleep deprivation. Yesterday I stumbled on this as a headline in one of the British newspapers, "‘Catastrophic’ lack of sleep in modern society is killing us, warns leading sleep scientist. ‘I take my sleep incredibly seriously because I have seen the evidence,’ says Professor Matthew Walker." Most of my input may be anecdotal but obviously, God created us to have regular sleep as a part of our design. There is a spiritual component to sleep. Not all sleep issues are spiritual in nature, however, it helps to understand the peace that comes from being in fellowship with our Creator. I've listed a few verses for consideration: Proverbs 3:24 "If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet." ~ Psalm 4:8 "In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." ~ Psalm 127:2 "It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep." ~ Psalm 3:5 "I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me." Amen.

When I say there are many reasons people have trouble sleeping, I know this first hand just within my close circle of those near and dear to my heart. On very rare occasions I too have had to deal with a restless and sleepless night. It can be exasperating. Nearly 10 million Americans use prescription sleeping medication each day. Add to this number the over the counter meds being consumed and it's easy to see the magnitude of this problem. I do know that, for me, it can result when I have too much brain stimulation prior to my bedtime. You know, like getting too involved in a sporting event on television, or trying to finish something on the computer, or other kinds of things that keep your mind on overdrive. For kids, I can tell you, based on my own personal observation, these interactive games they play on their game controllers or cellphones, they are a sleep stealer. Too wired up. Or, too connected and/or addicted to shut the thing off. Whatever the causes, fundamentally, we need to get back to the basics where we pay attention to and honor the way in which God created us. While I typically don't have problems with my sleep cycle, I don't like to see others struggling with this issue. It impacts the entirety of their sense of any quality of life. May God help. Amen.

Let me see if I can say something about this furor over the posture or lack thereof during the presentation of our country's national anthem. Me personally, I think every American should show respect for the anthem and what it reflects. At the same time, I don't like our President using such crude language to describe those he disagrees with on this subject. There may be issues these athletes feel strongly about. I just don't think to disgrace the anthem is a way of calling attention to anything other than the disrespect being shown. There are probably other avenues to follow in getting their concerns recognized. This situation is a sign of our times. Our divided nation is becoming more so as these issues continue to be at the forefront each day. The American people who foot the bill for professional sports, by an overwhelming majority, are sickened by this public display of disrespect for our nation. Again, I think the President could have continued his support for how the majority feels without throwing gasoline on the fire. My opinion. At the same time, I think it will only be remedied when the money becomes significant enough to make an impact. People don't like what they are seeing, but, as long as they continue to buy tickets and watch or listen to the games, it will likely continue. In this case, money does talk. Now you know what you may have already known, but, from my point of view. Take care, enjoy the day the Lord has made, and I will do my best to see you next time. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: