Tuesday, August 15, 2017

"Sweat is the cologne of accomplishment." ~ Heywood Hale Brown

Here we go again and this time we do so on Tuesday, August 15, 2017. As we have sifted through the paperwork associated with mom and dad, we've been reminded of things we may not have fully understood. Mom and dad were effective and productive in the jobs they held. Exceptionally so. Both of them. They never came off as bragging on themselves as high achievers and they never talked much about how often they had been recognized for their performance, however, they both, during their times of employment, were given numerous awards and letters of commendation. In our time spent reviewing the correspondence and paperwork of their lives, we have seen stacks of these recognitions. I knew that mom had been given special commendation at different times but the sheer number of them in one of the manila folders was still surprising. Many of dad's awards, especially as a military non-commissioned officer, have been framed and they are very impressive. Yet, there's even more that were never put into that type of presentation. Letters from his commanding officers. Letters recognizing him going above and beyond. As we consider these forms of recognition, they are inspirational to us and it reaffirms our thankfulness to God for giving us the opportunity to have these two remarkable people as our parents. Amen.

One of the things these documents spoke to me reflects on their unapologetic work ethic. They gave themselves to whatever work they were involved in. That's one of the elusive traits that employers bemoan today. Employees who lack a solid work ethic. Mom and dad had that all over them. I do know many of their direct descendants also carry that attribute with pride. Today when you talk about being committed to the job you have, the current views that swirl around responds with things like a slave, workaholic, and no real life. Really? I can tell you one thing. Our parents were committed to their jobs and they had REAL LIVES. Lives that made a difference, by the way. At mom's and dad's house there is a coo coo clock hanging on the wall. Someone mentioned that it was given to them by a lady we all knew growing up. I then told the others there with me how that mom and dad saw after this lady, carried her to her doctor appointments, and mom sent food, up and until she passed away. That didn't get recognized on a piece of paper. But, I can assure you, it reflects their story. What was a consistent part of their story? Their resolve and commitment to whatever task they put their hand to. At the job site or in hauling an ailing widow woman to her doctors 100 miles away. Amen.

You can tell that I'm just back from being at the homestead over in Louisiana. Some wonder about me not really caring that much about the stuff mom and dad accumulated. I already have a chest full of that stuff. You know. The one that contains my heart. Okay. For you purists, I know it's not the pump that does its thing 24x7. It was a metaphoric statement. Heart. I believe the Bible portrays the heart as being the seat or place of origin of our thoughts and emotions. The 1611 King James translation put Proverbs 4:23 in this way, "Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." At any rate, my heart, in that context, is fully satisfied and saturated with my respect and remembrance of mom and dad. Waxing poetic today? Sorry. I'm not into waxing. I've seen that video of them doing that on the fellow's chest hair. Way too painful for me. Thanks for showing up today. It's good to be able to work through these issues with you being here to help me out. And, it does save on my psychiatric fees. See you next time and may God bless us, one and all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: