Thursday, August 17, 2017

Spunk and Enthusiasm. Not a bad combination, if you ask me. Not bad even if you don't ask me.

Our Brady boy!
Good morning. Just for the record, we will be officially celebrating my birthday this upcoming Saturday with the family. I don't think anything is planned to recognize the 40th anniversary of that iconic Elvis guy who chose my birthday to check out. Today is Thursday, August 17, 2017, and we are doing our best to keep at it. Speaking of family, I chit chatted with our grandson Brady the other day. He is getting ready for 6th grade this week. He is also back in football. We had ourselves a somewhat politically incorrect forth and back about football. I said, "Well, son, I know you are a hard hitter. Have you left anyone laying out on the field yet?" He nonchalantly shot back, "No Sir, not yet, but I plan to do so, soon." For those who follow my blog who like to see everyone play nice even on the football field, well, consider this: Brady is very clear on the fact that it is a contact sport. And, he intends to fulfill his part of that bargain. While I do pray for his safety, I, at the same time, greatly admire his spunk and enthusiasm. Those two attributes are good ones for any of us to have as we deal with the life we have been given.

They tell us the moment you speak of having humility is the moment you lose it. Well, I'm going to say something any way. I am humbled by the many well wishes, comments, and other forms of greeting that were expressed yesterday in recognition of my 71st birthday. Many, way too many, were way too kind. My eldest son said I should feel honored. However, while I do appreciate these wonderful thoughts, I live with the fellow being talked about, 24x7. The reality is this. I'm just as convicted about my life when the preacher shares God's word as the next fellow. Maybe even more so. I'm still working through some pretty profound thoughts from a sermon I heard last Sunday. Here was a take away that I have thought a lot about this week, "If you do not have a plan for how you will spend your time, every bit of it, there is someone who does have a plan. That someone is Satan and anytime we fail to have a plan in the use our time, he will fill any void." The sermon was about finishing well with the example of the Apostle Paul's testimony, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course." (2 Timothy 4:7) Therefore, I received all those wonderful comments, many of them quite laudatory in nature, within the context of knowing I need to do more, work harder, and be more conscious of my time so that I can finish well, for the honor and glory of the Lord. But, thanks for the birthday wishes. I will always cherish the love shown towards me.

At any rate, we move on. This means that today is the next day of my 71st year in my sojourn here on this sphere called earth. One lady pointed out to me that having achieved that status meant I was one year past the three score and ten promised in the Scriptures. That comes from the 90th division of the Psalms, Verse 10, in a prayer song attributed to Moses. Since I mentioned that waxing poetic situation yesterday, I thought I would share that particular passage as a way of saying thanks for all the birthday wishes, and, let's all pray for each other that we would find ourselves faithful and focused on finishing well. Amen. ....More later. 

Psalm 90

A prayer of Moses, the man of God.

1) O Lord, you have been our protector through all generations!

2) Even before the mountains came into existence,
or you brought the world into being,
you were the eternal God.

3) You make mankind return to the dust,
and say, “Return, O people!”

4) Yes, in your eyes a thousand years
are like yesterday that quickly passes,
or like one of the divisions of the nighttime.

5) You bring their lives to an end and they “fall asleep.”
In the morning they are like the grass that sprouts up;

6) in the morning it glistens and sprouts up;
at evening time it withers and dries up.

7) Yes, we are consumed by your anger;
we are terrified by your wrath.

8) You are aware of our sins;
you even know about our hidden sins.

9) Yes, throughout all our days we experience your raging fury;
the years of our lives pass quickly, like a sigh.

10) The days of our lives add up to seventy years,
or eighty, if one is especially strong.
But even one’s best years are marred by trouble and oppression.
Yes, they pass quickly and we fly away.

11) Who can really fathom the intensity of your anger?
Your raging fury causes people to fear you.

12) So teach us to consider our mortality,
so that we might live wisely.

13) Turn back toward us, O Lord!
How long must this suffering last?
Have pity on your servants!

14) Satisfy us in the morning with your loyal love!
Then we will shout for joy and be happy all our days!

15) Make us happy in proportion to the days you have afflicted us,
in proportion to the years we have experienced trouble!

16) May your servants see your work!
May their sons see your majesty!

17) May our sovereign God extend his favor to us!
Make our endeavors successful!
Yes, make them successful!

New English Translation (NET)

No comments: