Wednesday, August 23, 2017

"Four fruit flies flew through three fields Thirsty for free flower meals Three flies fought over where to fly One swished away to a Swiss fish fry" ~ Children's tongue twisting song written by Bryant Oden

Good morning and welcome, it is Wednesday, August 23, 2017. I do hope all of my readers were able to work through the total eclipse event without any lingering side effects. In the email containing Monday's blog, sent to 40 recipients, it included this title, "For some people, today will be a total eclipse of their smart." I received an inquiry about that title. It was intended to be a play on the title of that immensely popular song back in 1983, by Bonnie Tyler, "Total Eclipse of the Heart." My eldest son recognized it as such and wanted to know how in the world I would have known about that song. I told him there used to be something called Top 40 Radio and I typically would catch whatever the most popular tunes were. That was 34 years ago. I read where the now 66-year-old Bonnie Tyler sang her big hit during the totality phase of the eclipse this past Monday. I have most likely now eclipsed my record for how much space I have devoted to the subject of eclipses. I sure hope that doesn't cast any shadow on my credibility or blot out the good standing I've attempted to earn over time. Just kidding. Still messing around with eclipse related metaphors. That's all. Nothing more than that. No secret code. Just your friendly blogger having himself a bit of fun.

My little 2MG tablet once a day is really helping to lower my fasted blood glucose readings. (Amazingly, I read where the maximum dosage for it is 10MG, twice a day.) This very morning I hit below 100 for the first time in I don't know when. To me, that too is pretty amazing. That makes me thankful to God for those who get the education, do the research, and use their skills to develop drugs that help people, like me. Then we have this development. I've taken the same cholesterol medication for many years. But, as they used to say back home, all good things come to an end and for that particular drug, this is the end, my friend. With literally no noticeable side effects for many years, without warning I began to develop severe muscle cramps. A blood test revealed a muscle related issue. I stopped the cholesterol medication for two weeks, got a new blood test, and everything is back to normal, and I no longer have the muscle cramping. But, yes, but, there's always one of those, right? But, my doctor advises that now would be a good time for me to do my best to keep my cholesterol in check through my diet. He does love using that "D" word. Here I am, fighting diabetes and that little pill he added is helping but it has also helped me to add a few pounds. This is a common outcome because when your blood sugar drops you tend to snack. When you snack, things happen. I think you get my drift. The weight gain would not be good for my cholesterol. My point? Oh, what a vicious vortex I am caught up in! Not really. These and so many other little life threatening details are what make up my day to day living. The good news is that I'm still here to talk about it and to report to one and all that God is still on His throne and He is in control. Amen.

We are regular watchers of the TV series, American Ninja Warrior. If we are home and it is on, we watch it. We even watch re-runs of previous seasons if they are on. Seeing people deal with and overcome those physical challenges and serious obstacles provides a boost in our 'feel good'. Sometimes a promising young talent messes up and it makes me not only feel sorry for them, but, maybe even a little disappointed. Disappointed? I'm disappointed? Even as I am fully stretched out in my recliner watching someone who has trained relentlessly and yet I have a feeling of disappointment? We are quite strange, don't you think? If he had only used that reverse hand technique. If she had only slowed down a little. It's not really so hard to coach from the recliner. Let me see? They work full time jobs and then stay in the gym half the night training. That's the difference between a participant and a spectator. Often we find ourselves in just about every walk of life sitting in the bleachers doing commentary when we should be out there on the field of play, from work to worship. That even sounded a little harsh to me, like a slap in the face, but, in a good way because it reminds me of who needs to hear it. Yep. You guessed it the first time. Those three again. Me. Myself. And, I. Think on that for a while. Take care. Enjoy the life God has given to you as best you can. Be thankful. See you next time. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: