Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Magic Kingdom), Safety Announcer: "Howdy partners! For your safety, remain seated with your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the train—and be sure to watch your kids. If any of you folks are wearin’ hats or glasses, best remove ’em—’cause this here’s the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

Life is like a mountain railroad. That's what the Bluegrass song says and I do believe it at times. In case you missed it, that would be a lot of uphill climbing. Today I find myself pondering this truth as we embrace this Wednesday, August 2, 2017. My old truck is a faithful companion. The other day it became time for the state inspection so we can transfer our funds into the state treasury to get a little plastic sticker showing that my truck is registered. But, don't you know those funds are designated for highways and roads and safety and stuff like that? Yeah, and the Easter bunny will bring me a winning lottery ticket. Right? At any rate, the old truck mostly just minds his own business. But, with that inspection day looming, one of those added on Al Gore emissions control devices went kaput. What timing! This device is one that we are familiar with. It is intended to protect against those who might top off their tank by capturing the excess fuel fumes. I should know. We replaced it last year. I can't remember if I topped off before but when informed about this issue I never did it again. However, I learned something new this go around. My eldest son who also doubles as our chief family mechanic asked me if I ever fill up with the truck running. Do what? Well, maybe, or yes, but only when I am in a hurry. He said that's inviting the failure of this part. Then the wife, "Haven't you ever read the sign that says turn the motor off before you fuel?" I think I agreed that I may have seen that one a time or two. We now have a new one installed, again. Thanks Chris for coming over on your way home from work. I now have to drive it for a while to reset the flags in the computer. All I ever wanted to do was to drive to work.

You now know what? Why the nurses flip a coin when they see me coming. That's a good one. True. But, still, a good one. And, to tell the truth, I don't blame them one bit. If I saw me coming down that hall I too would take off to the break room. They now do a mental health screening each time you have your annual physical. I hear a few out there laughing. I know. Yours truly and mental health are not concepts easily grasped, at least together. At any rate, I attempted, like a good clubber, to fill out the form online. However, the online system either knew it was me or it decided to also run for the break room because it didn't work. It made me want to find the software programmer and rearrange his or her appearance. (I threw that in because it was a mental health questionnaire. Don't call a 1-800 line and report me.) When I arrived at the doctor's office I had to fill the form out with a pen. That made me so angry. I answered all the questions as if I have no mental issues to report. Wait a minute. To report. What goes on in my head, mostly, not always, stays in my head. That is, the incriminating stuff. I did mention to the doctor how the online system wouldn't allow me to complete the form. The doctor only shrugged his shoulders. I'll deal with him later. I bet they are wondering about all those tear marks on that form. I'm sure there will be more on this one, later.

Please, please, know, that I would never poke fun at anyone who deals with mental health issues. My little prose is typically focused on me, myself, and I. You know. I am a living parody and since I can't really figure out of who, I suppose I will have to settle with it being me. My wife is so good to respond each day to my musings. I know I am on track when I get an email and it simply says, "What? My head is spinning." Bingo! We have a winner. Welcome to my world. Around and around it goes and where it will stop, no one knows. In the midst of all this chaotic nonsense, I am thankful that I know the truth about God, His provision of a Savior to a lost and dying world, and His day by day presence that goes with each one who has their trust in Him. It is easy to walk by sight and miss out on the reality of truth. Our sight often tells us that we are in a hopeless situation. Our faith says that God will never leave us and He will never forsake us. That is a comfort as we, like that mountain train, deal with the hills, the curves, and the valleys of life. Please indicate Sermon Number 999 when placing your order. Do not send me any money, just a thoughtful contribution to cover the weight of the postal service fees. Yep. I'm done. I do hope you found at least one little thing to smile about. It does a body good. Enjoy. May God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: