Tuesday, August 8, 2017

“Perhaps you should put your head down.” 'I knew this was the thing to do, although I’ve never fainted and I don’t intend to.'” ― Franny Billingsley, from her book, 'Chime'

Good morning and welcome to your daily visitor where I will be doing my best to pilot this program for the next few minutes. It is Tuesday, August 8, 2017. I have received some recent feedback on the last several of my postings. I will try and summarize what folks are saying to me. "Have you lost your ever loving mind?" That begs the question about me ever having found it, but, I do appreciate the input. My doctor finally agreed to add an additional diabetic medication to supplement the one I have been taking for years. We had to greatly reduce the strength of the primary because of its impact on my digestive system, therefore, my numbers have been running high, for me. I am familiar with this newly added drug family. It is in a class known as sulfonylureas. I had taken a form of it when I was first diagnosed some eight years ago. It had the impact of dropping my sugar so low I had to crawl to the kitchen to get some orange juice. The pharmacist took about five minutes warning me about the side effects. That, in and of itself, is unusual. The tiny little pill is barely larger than a baby aspirin. I took it for the first time this past Sunday morning. You take it, wait 15 minutes and eat some breakfast. I did it exactly the way I was instructed. That was around 7 a.m. At 11 a.m. I was sitting in a Church auditorium with about 1200 people when the most prominent of side effects kicked in, I became very lightheaded and thought I was going to pass out. Among those on the same pew, we were able to produce one round spearmint candy and a piece of gum containing sugar. I took those in and after a couple of minutes, I was at least, mostly, back in control. I had not intended on becoming one of those examples of someone said to have been 'slain by the Spirit'. But, it almost happened.

I will know better next time. I missed out on an opportunity to create some excitement. That's okay. Now the wife has pledged to carry some candy bars in her purse, just in case. I nearly fainted. It turned into an unexpected blessing! You know. Showers of candy bars falling from above. The thought alone causes me to get a little weak-kneed. That should be more than enough to let you know how things go with me. I often say, it's always something. The reason I say it is because it's always something. I went to the mall the other day with the wife. She needed to make a quick purchase. It's back to school shopping at our mall. Standing room only. We stopped there after Church. No parking places. I ended up dropping her off and I had to park so far away the mall looked small to me when I got out of the car. Hot and tired, I finally made it to the food court where I was waiting for her. She was having a bear built. I'm not always up on the latest, but, I found out they actually build the bear at that place. Who knew? I was hungry and still a little woozy from being nearly laid out on the floor and I began to wonder if she was having a six foot Grizzly made. She finally showed up. She said she thought I would have gotten my food already. I sure wish I would have known that because by the time she got there I was as hungry as a bear and may have also been growling like one.

We made a visit to the medical center in downtown Houston to visit a young woman in the hospital there. We learned something. A white beard is very popular at that place. I was recognized several times as that other fellow that I am at times known as. On our way out, while waiting for the valet to bring our car, I had an opportunity to make a selfie with a beautiful young Hispanic girl. She was very excited. I was too. Her parents were happy to get the photo. The Mrs. Claus? I think all I heard her say was "Let me get out of the way." She did tell the little girl that she was officially on the nice list. I did have one fellow who asked if the beard was real. I hoped that was a joke but I think he was serious. Let me see. It's 100 degrees and I would be walking around in a fake Santa beard? Oh well, I've heard that it takes all kinds. I think we saw most of the 'all kinds' while there at the mega hospital. All of the things I've reported today transpired on this past Sunday. After Church Sunday evening when the wife and I got home we both agreed that we had put in a full day. A good day. I hit the hay around 8:30 p.m. (Hit the Hay, meaning: Go to bed, American usage dating back to 1902, as quoted in a magazine from that year, "After dinner he smoked one Perfecto and then, when he had put in a frolicsome hour or so with the North American Review, he crawled into the hay at 9.30 P.M.") At any rate, it didn't take long for me to fall asleep and it wasn't necessary for me to count the sugar plums dancing in my head. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your day. May God bless one and all. Amen.   .....More later

No comments: