Wednesday, May 25, 2016

“We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday’s burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it.” – John Newton,(1725-1807) former slave ship master who became an Anglican minister and hymn writer, best known for writing Amazing Grace

Welcome once again. Thanks for tuning in today as we unwrap the gift that God has given to us, this day, Wednesday, May 25, 2016. "This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24) Since I am a Type 2 Diabetic, I researched something because I thought it might explain some odd variations in my numbers that I experience from time to time. Here's a statement from the American Diabetes Association: "In people with type 2 diabetes, mental stress often raises blood glucose levels. Physical stress, such as illness or injury, causes higher blood glucose levels in people with either type of diabetes." It makes sense and I have often guessed that these circumstances play a role, but, I just had never looked it up and read about it. Now I know. Now you know. Stress does impact the numbers. Stress, however, is not all bad. Here's what the Apostle Paul said, "Apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxious concern for all the churches." (2 Corinthians 11:28) Being concerned, even burdened, about the right kinds of things is good. The other stuff, well, I need, you need, we all need, to follow the admonition from the old Gospel song, "Take your burdens to the Lord and leave it there." (Written by Charles Albert Tindley, 1851-1933, an African American Methodist Minister and recognized hymn writer.) Amen

No. I am not dispensing medical advice, just, sharing some of my recollections from my own personal journey. My mom told me a funny story the other evening when I was visiting with her on the telephone. We were talking about gardens and dad's challenge in producing this year's crop when she shared a tidbit from when she was a kid. When her dad would bring in the peas he had gathered it became a family affair to get them shelled. This meant her and her two brothers were expected to do their part in shelling peas. She remembered how that she and Uncle Asa and Uncle Waymon would take turns, when Paw Paw Mac wasn't looking, in throwing a handful of peas under the porch. That reduced the time they had to spend doing that chore. She seemed a little embarrassed when she told it, but, I can identify with that little tale. I wouldn't even want to try to come up with how many times I figured out a way to avoid participating in a chore related activity. If I put my mind to it, I could probably share one or two but I see by the clock on the wall that the time for this paragraph has come to an end. Maybe some other time. Maybe not. 


We inherit a lot of stuff from our parents. Some call it baggage. A lot of it comes with the fact that we were born sinners. It's our nature. Kids are, however, greatly influenced by their moms and dads. One mom was shocked when her little girl blurted out one day, "Mom do you think this blankie makes my butt look big?" Another one was surprised when her little one interrupted and said, "Excuse me, can't you see I'm talking here?" They are paying attention, even when we might hope they aren't. They don't always understand. One little girl was scared when her mom told her she was going to hop into the shower. She didn't want her mom to get hurt. Sometimes kids know more than their parents. One little girl screamed when she saw an ant. Her mom told her it was probably only a cookie crumb. The kid shot back that crumbs don't have legs and they don't walk. Talking about excuses, they pick up on them too. One little guy didn't want to eat his lunch so he told his mom his tummy hurt because he might be pregnant. One fellow kept begging him mom in the store to buy something for him when his older sister, a feisty six-year-old, gave him some sage advice, "Stop begging, you know she ain't got no money." I would guess that my mom's parents had pulled a few chore avoiding tricks themselves. The good news? God cares about us all in spite of our fallen natures. He cares enough to have sent His one and only Son to die on our behalf. Believing in Him gives us eternal life and the power to live a better life here. It does. Really! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: