Friday, May 20, 2016

"I have a theory about the human mind. A brain is a lot like a computer. It will only take so many facts, and then it will go on overload and blow up." ~ Erma Bombeck

As I approach the end of another work week here at the ole blogger ranch, I appreciate our visits this week even as I anticipate our time together today, Friday, May 20, 2016. On any given day we are bombarded by the incessant drumbeat of all that is happening in our world. ~ An Egyptian Air Liner is missing, presumed crashed, likely due to a terroristic act. ~ When President Obama visits Hiroshima, survivors from the atomic bomb dropped in 1945 want to meet him face to face where they hope he will apologize. ~ Stocks retreat to a six-week low. ~ US intelligence chief announces that foreign governments are attempting to hack into the campaign computers for those running for president. ~ These were on a national forum but then you add all the local reports of murder, mayhem, fires, and the unrelenting but insane political stuff, well, no wonder you are worn out before you get started. Thanks to the internet and social media we know pretty much everything going on, instantaneously. I will admit to being somewhat of a follower of all forms of current events but that doesn't keep me from wondering about the value of this oversaturation of information. I know a few people who refuse to get onboard. They live and work and operate largely off the technology driven grid. They are not totally unaware but they are not plugged into the second-by-second unfolding of every iota of every detail imaginable. That would not be me, but, I can't really see where they are hurting from not knowing. There may be something there for us all to think about. Maybe. Right now I see someone has posted a new status on Twitter. Got to go. Catch up with you later.

The vast amount of information is not only mind blowing but some of the stuff being shared is enough to make someone want to scream. I love seeing family postings of those I know. I enjoy testimonies of how God is working in people's lives. I take note of the Scriptures people post along with comments of what they have meant to them. The chain letter look-alikes that say you don't love God if you don't share this message, well, I can do without those. The celebrations of wedding anniversaries that took place on a fictional television program, well, I can do without those. The selling of products to each other that make me feel like I am stuck in an Avon calling vortex, well, I can do without those. The hate laced diatribes by any and all individuals on political matters, regardless of who they support, well, I can do without those. The public airing of clearly private matters, sometimes with embarrassing details, well, I can do without those. The unending self-promotion of me, myself, and I photos, called selfies, well, I can do without those. What does one do to ferret out the good stuff while ignoring the things that irritate? I know what works for me. You become skilled at skipping. And, you also keep in mind that while many things are not my cup of tea, to others they are both interesting and stimulating. That being true, it helps motivate me to keep on honing my skipping techniques. I intended this to be my lighthearted take, so, don't take it too seriously.

I didn't really plan to write about this today. It more or less unfolded on its own. That's how it goes when you work without a net. While I do not have a specific quota on word counts for my blogs, I feel like I must have met or exceeded all expectations this week. I'm speaking of volume only, not quality or usefulness.  I do appreciate those who have been praying for my mom. She has had a really good week. She says she believes it reflects the prayers of those interceding on her behalf. She is so thankful for this response on the part of those who care. Ultimately, it is God's working on behalf of His own and we do offer praise and thanksgiving to Him for His mercy, grace, and love. Prayer helps us all to connect into His way of getting things done. I would say this has been some kind of week but I could likely say that almost every week. I am looking forward to Saturday and to Lord's Day Sunday, and I hope you are too. Thanks for taking the time to show up for our little electronic meet up each day. I'll be trying to come up with a topic for our next regularly scheduled visit, come next Monday. Until then, may God bless us, one and all. Amen.  ......More later.

No comments: