Thursday, May 19, 2016

"Fortune has a fickle heart and a short memory." ~ Chinese Proverb

Okay. I think I've had enough to say about political correctness run amok for one week, therefore, I will attempt to move on to something different. After all, it's a brand new day, and this one happens to identify itself as being Thursday, May 19, 2016. I recently read a somewhat confusing article on the purpose of purpose. I know that's a big subject since many folks desire to find their purpose. Companies pay big bucks to experts to help them define their purpose. I forwarded a little video to the wife the other day where a Bible teacher was explaining the purpose of instruction. She said the purpose was not to get additional glitzy looking binders to go on a shelf, or to be loaded up with information. It was seeing changed lives as the materials and the information brought about outcomes consistent with God's working in each individual. My wife teaches ladies so I thought these comments might be helpful. I well remember some insight into how this works from many years ago. The company I worked so long for either owned or supported some 1500 oil change centers. I heard a fellow talking about the purpose of our services and support. The franchise owners and operators needed technology. The employees at each location deserved support. However, the real purpose was to provide for the customer who would bring their vehicle for servicing. See what I mean? It's easy to focus our time and attention on really good things but not necessarily on our true purpose. When you support the end customer as your highest priority, you foster success in the business. Pleasing the franchise operators is good and taking care of the employees is too. But, they will not be there at all if one loses sight of the real purpose: Taking care of the customer. This can be applied in almost every area of life, including the reason behind our faith, our family, and our day-to-day focus.

I also recently read a critical commentary on the current emphasis on identifying the 'World's Oldest Living Person'. The person writing this assessment thinks this to be mostly a worthless endeavor. He states that for the most part, the oldest living person has very little to offer except for the fact they are still alive. His review indicated that most of these individuals had accomplished very little in noteworthy achievements outside of their luck in living longer than others. While I might agree that making such a huge publicity emphasis regarding these folks is not all productive, I would greatly disagree in how he judges their contributions. Most of them have extensive families they have influenced. Many of them have testimonies of faithfulness to their God, their jobs, and to their duties and responsibilities. To me, that means something. So, they didn't have a patent on some great invention, or perhaps they were never awarded the Medal of Honor. But, please don't belittle their time here on the planet! Of course, I am prejudiced. I happen to know that God looks at each person differently than how the world sees them. Raising up God fearing family does not rank as a great achievement here, but I think those who have devoted themselves to doing so will be rewarded when they hear the Creator God Himself say, "Well done My child!" (See Matthew 25:34-40) And, in case you are wondering, I just happen to be unanimous in my opinion on this subject. Thanks.

Have you noticed that I often spend time answering questions that no one asked? I suppose that's a rhetorical device used to allow me to pontificate on whatever it is that finds its way onto my radar screen. Many years ago I took the Reader's Digest and pretty much read it cover to cover when it arrived. I always loved the regular feature, 'Life in these United States'. That feature was actually birthed in 1943. Here's a sample of a couple of reader submitted stories, "Hospital regulations require a wheelchair for patients being discharged. However, while working as a student nurse, I found an elderly gentleman already dressed and sitting on the bed with a suitcase at his feet-who insisted he didn't need my help to leave the hospital. After a chat about rules being rules, he reluctantly let me wheel him to the elevator. On the way down, I asked if his wife was meeting him. "I don't know," he said. "She's still upstairs in the bathroom changing out of her hospital gown." -- Patsy R. Dancey, ~  "What is that sound?" a woman visiting our nature center asked. "It's the frogs trilling for a mate," Patti, the naturalist, explained. "We have a pair in the science room. But they've been together for so long, they no longer sing to each other." The woman nodded sympathetically. "The trill is gone." -- KathyJo Townson ~ As you might guess, there's thousands more like these. Fortunately, many of them are captured out on the internet and these two happened to blip their journey across my radar screen today. Have a great rest of the day and remember to give thanks for God's provisions. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: