Friday, May 13, 2016

"People are living longer than ever before. In 1900, people aged 65 and older composed just over 4 percent of the U.S. population. By 2050, they will make up more than 20 percent. This unprecedented population growth is the result of significant medical advances over the past century, especially those related to the treatment of infectious disease such as pneumonia and tuberculosis. But aging population growth — especially among those older than 85, who are most likely to require expensive long-term care, suffer disability or require assistance with daily activities — comes with serious financial consequences for aging Americans and their families." ~ Quote from an article published by the Public Heath Dept. of George Washington University

Special Prayer Request: Mom has been having trouble with a hip for some time now. Yesterday she found out that she has developed cancer in that hip and it is also in her back. Even at 92, this was a surprise. She does not intend taking any form of treatment. She is at peace knowing that God is in control and He will be with her as the days go forward. I ask that you whisper a prayer for His nearness to her at this time. Thanks.
 
Let me pause just for a second to catch my breath. Thanks. This week has been somewhat of an uphill climb. But, as of this moment, I'm standing on top of this particular hill and it's called Friday, May 13, 2016. Maybe the downhill path will be a might easier to traverse. That would be the weekend, for those not totally on top of my metaphorical jingoisms that I'm scattering like leaves being blown in the wind. Or something like that. I do hope that today's visit finds you and yours doing well. I read a quote the other day in an article about aging. It was attributed to the great playwright Tennesee Williams, "You can be young without money, but you can't be old without it." I suppose that puts somewhat of a meaningful twist on the high cost of living, longer. I also saw a little joke that went like this: "The elderly patient eagerly awaited the report from her doctor. He said after running all the tests available, he had reached a final conclusion. She was out of money." I do know this. In my going here and there, I do spot a whole lot of older folks still showing up for work each day. It might just be me but as I see it, this used to be the exception but that does seem to be changing. A recent study found those 65 or older tend to place their official retirement target much further out than they have in the past. The surveyed younger workers still dream of working only until they are 62 or less. I think there's a song entitled "Dream On". Maybe they should learn to sing it. I'm not being negative, just passing on information. If I make it to August I'll hit the big 70, so I'm thankful to be still able to rise. I'll have to reserve judgment at this time on the 'shine' part. But, nonetheless, I am thankful. Yes I am! Amen.

You might recall that in January I hit another 70 for the first time. My diabetic blood measurement hit 7.0 for the first time ever. Normal blood is 6.0 or less. I had it rechecked last week and I am glad to report it has improved. Not a huge amount but better than it was. I had a 6.8 on this most recent test and I am here to tell you that I am thankful for it. Amen. Why all the fuss? I won't bore you with the details but suffice it to say that most of the complications from diabetes are not anything anyone would want to experience. My doctor has an interesting outlook on things. His goal, working with me, is to keep me going long enough, with God's provision, so that I will end up dying from something other than my diabetes. He didn't say it in those exact words but that was my take on what our team effort is attempting to achieve by chasing these numbers. The wife asked me this week if my fingers get sore from all the pricking. Perhaps a little. Different people use different techniques. I use the sides of my thumbs. They seem to be tougher. I rotate from right to left on one hand, and then right to left on the other. If I had my druthers, I would just as soon not deal with it at all. At the same time, I look around and see so many others that face challenges each day which make mine seem very small indeed. In the meantime, I will take that 6.8 and see if we can take it down another notch.

Maybe my sharing about my diabetic journey which began in the summer of 2007 will be an encouragement to others dealing with similar challenges. That was when it was discovered. There's no way to know exactly how long I had the condition but it was caught early according to the numbers. I had gone to the doctor for a completely different reason. He asked how long had it been since I had a complete physical. Too long. We did one. That's how we found out. What was my initial response? Sorry, but no thank you. You are wrong. The labs are wrong. All I could see in my mind's eye was me sticking insulin shots into my belly. Denial and withdrawal. But, the numbers did not lie and I am very blessed to be able to share these experiences as I continue this journey, 9 years later. Thus far, I have been able to treat this disease without injections. That to me has been a real blessing. I went from having never taken any medications to ingesting a handful in the evenings and each morning. It sounds like I obsess over all of this. I don't. Our slogan around our place has become: "Everything in moderation." That's how I try to operate. Try. I'm not always successful. Believe me, some mornings I think my little blood tester might cry. But, I take note of his report and move forward to try and do better. The crazy thing is how that often I have no clue why it might be higher than normal. Okay. No. I do not intend on starting a medical advice column. Thanks for tuning in this week and I do wish you a most wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. May He be honored in our response to Him. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: