Thursday, May 5, 2016

From the chart topping song made popular by The Platters in 1958, "Now laughing friends deride Tears I cannot hide So I smile and say When a lovely flame dies, smoke gets in your eyes."

Okay. I think we have recovered enough to say we are back on track. Whatever that means. Hello. Welcome. We've got this day to work with, Thursday, May 5, 2016, and I suppose it is time to get on with it. I don't cook on the grill as often as I used to. When I do I always wonder if I can still do it. Early last Tuesday morning the moment of truth came again. I was up shortly after 3 a.m. to prepare the barbecue for mom and dad. I had just awakened from a dream or nightmare where we ran out of food and for some reason my wife refused to help me do anything about it. I was begging her to help. I told her about my dream and she just laughed. Laughed. She did. It wasn't that funny to me. Well, I got the fire cranked up and I got the meat on the grill. Then, as usual, I began singing out my personal version of 'Smoke Gets in Your Eyes'. The bottom line is that once again it turned out good. Mom and dad so enjoyed the meal we carried to them. Here's the deal. I could brag and say look what a great grill master I am but I know better. You know what I thought when I saw how much they enjoyed their food? Thank You Lord for allowing me, one more time, to prepare a meal that could honor them in a way that I desired to do so. I may have lost my touch but He hasn't and I am so very grateful to Him. Amen and Amen.

On our way home from Louisiana the other day, the wife and I had a conversation about our long life together. I know. Pretty heady stuff. She said she found it hard to believe that her husband would soon be 70 years old. I thought about how that she just turned 69 but I didn't mention that. We talked a lot about so many that have been so important to our lives who have gone on to their reward. So many couples whose union has been interrupted by death. Thinking all the way back to our beginning as a couple in the early 1960's, we began naming those who have lost their mates. Most are ladies but there have been some widowers too. Yes. It was an occasion for reflection and maybe a tear or two, but in the end, I came away being thankful for our time together over these many years. I reached over and grabbed her hand. I seem to recall we used to do that quite often. Of course, that interrupted the game she was playing on her tablet and made it a little more difficult for her to use her smartphone to keep up with Facebook postings. But she actually set those aside and we paused to contemplate our thoughts, all at 75 MPH. What a life? And, one more time, is this a great country, or what?

You thought what? Maybe the smoke got into more places than just my eyes? Good observation. I wouldn't doubt that for a second. One thing is certain. You typically don't make omelets without breaking eggs. That reminds me, my wife makes wonderful omelets. I could eat one right now. (Come to think about it, I could eat about anything right now since I am fasting to prepare for my diabetic check-up this morning.) And, you don't get to nearly 52 years as a husband and wife team without some scars along the way. Some people look at us and think we are the perfect couple. Others look at us and perhaps think we are a rather odd couple. Let me set the record straight. We are as flawed as the next person but we both know The One who is Perfect and He has helped us to become who we are today. A lot of folks at times ask us what our secret is. Hello? We don't particularly have a secret other than the song lyric, "Without Him I could do nothing." As for the odd couple thoughts, well, that could easily be up for grabs. It is, after all, in the eye of the beholder. My theme for today, thankfulness. I'm thankful for the life God has given to me. I'm thankful for the family He has placed me in and the one He has provided to me, my immediate, my extended, my blended, and don't forget, my local Church family. And, as you can tell, I'm very thankful for my wife. A whole lot of thankfulness going on. You got it. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: