Wednesday, May 18, 2016

“...These politically correct language initiatives are misguided and harmful. They create highly entitled professional “victims” who expect to be free from any offense, and they engender a stifling atmosphere where all individuals walk on eggshells lest they might commit a linguistic capital crime.” ― Gad Saad, Author

Good morning and welcome to our scheduled early morning coffee break visit here on this Wednesday, May 18, 2016. I don't know what you are having but I'm enjoying some hot, black, Community, 100% Columbia Altura. I make it trending towards the strong side but not too strong. Just a smidgen of a bite to it is how I like it. You may like yours all doctored up with this flavoring or that. It is, after all, a world where we can still choose. Or, at least, I think we can still choose. Some things. The word-police may eventually ask me not to use words like hot and black because it might offend someone. And, the Columbians may take issue with the use of their name on the coffee I drink. Just think what a wonderful world we will have when we get rid of every vestige of any and all words that might be misunderstood. The current administration even has a new name for what our system of law once called criminals. The simple definition of the word criminal refers to someone who has committed a crime. Add the word convicted and you are suddenly committing a crime yourself. It's a new crime of stigmatizing those who have broken the law, been tried, and were convicted of a criminal act. What is the new recommended designation to represent these previously called convicted criminals? Justice-involved individuals. I would say you've got to be kidding but I'm not going to because the way I see it there's no end in sight.

I know what some of you are thinking. You think maybe I'm dabbling in fiction writing. Sorry to disappoint you but you can check my facts because they are what they are and the names of the guilty have not been changed to protect the innocent. They always added something like that to the old Dragnet shows so I thought I would put it in to add some credibility to my essay. In the old days when I was interviewing and screening potential employees, a company would not want to hire someone to count money who had done time for embezzlement. There may well come a time when information of that nature from their background will be deemed as stigmatizing, therefore, making it unavailable. I looked over a current list of 15 questions that are now considered to be illegal when interviewing a potential job applicant. I suppose that our interview process may one day be replaced with a form of the Miranda warning given by the police, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you." You think that perhaps I've gone off the reservation? First, you shouldn't use that word because it certainly may be offensive to someone out there, and, secondly, hang on because my forecast going forward is that we ain't seen nothing yet.

No. I am not running to be elected curmudgeon of the year. That word describes a bad-tempered or surly individual. I'm not either of those but I thought I had better use the word before it becomes declared illegal under the Geneva Convention, or, better yet, The Democratic Party Convention. You do know I'm joking. Right? In my very first ever blog I mentioned my intention to follow the guiding principle set forth by the late, great, Yogi Berra: "You can observe a lot just by watching." That's what I have been up to in my daily dialogues. I observe. I think about what I have seen. And, I communicate what I think about it. Does that make me always right? Oh, how I would love to say that it does but my nearly 70 years sojourn screams a resounding no to that question. Commentary. Opinion. Thoughts. The only time I know I am on solid footing is when I quote directly 'thus says the word of the Lord'. My thoughts about what He has said may be off but His Word is true. Here's an inspired declaration concerning God's Word: "For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account." (Hebrews Chapter 4, Verses 12-13) That should give us all something to consider, including yours truly. Take care and may God bless is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: