Wednesday, April 6, 2016

“When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.” ― Mark Twain

Hello once again to the continuing saga where I attempt to deal with consequential matters otherwise known as this, that, or the other, most of it pertaining to my own stumbling through the life God has granted to me. It's Wednesday, April 6, 2016, and I really am thankful for the opportunity to visit with you today. I know things are different now for me as I make my way here and there every day. I have my fair share of aches and pains and I know they reflect my nearly 70 years here on the planet. The other day I was at a business and talking to a fellow who recently completed a grueling series of chemo treatments. He is maybe in his early fifties. I asked how things were going. He said they tell him he is in remission but he literally has very little strength. He did thank God for him still being around to talk about it. He asked how I was doing. I told him how thankful I was to be able to get up and go each day. I told him that while dealing with diabetes has its challenges there's only thankfulness on my part that I can function as I do. When I told him my upcoming age threshold, he just reached over and gave me a hug. My point is that we should not take for granted the blessings that God has provided to us. We may not see them but others do. Therefore, we should always remember to thank Him for His provisions. Amen.

I am glad to report my sister Frances is making slow and steady progress. After taking a nasty fall and hitting her head, she continues to deal with some memory issues and head pain. But, all in all, she is on the mend and we thank God for His working in her life. My other sister, JoAnn, deals with chronic leukemia every day. We typically mention our age when we discuss our current medical status. Some of what ails us obviously comes with the territory. Some of it, while mostly unexplainable, turns out to be what we have been given to deal with. Mom, if God provides, will hit the 92 mark in May. She still talks often about her diet and her need for more exercise. The doctor told her not to worry about anything, just enjoy your life. But, maybe her fretting over her health and well being is how she has made this long run. I know I write quite often about my diabetic condition. I do that because it is a 24 by 7 part of my life and my life is a whole lot of what my blog is about. My life. Net results: My observations and my thoughts on many different subjects. Welcome to the world of personal blogging or in this case: Welcome to my world. I can't think of anyone who serves more with the hands God has given to her than my wife. Yet, she does suffer from very painful arthritis in those serving hands. My point? Hang around long enough and you will gain insight into what I am talking about. You will. You can count on it.

Don't let this aging situation get you down. It is a wonderful part of life. I hear all the time people say it is better than the alternative. As a believer, that, of course, would not be my perspective. We know that we know that in death we close our eyes here and open them in the presence of the living Lord of the universe. (2 Corinthians 5:8) That, by the way, is a much better alternative and one we look forward to. At the same time, we, like the Apostle Paul, realize that while we are here God has a work for us to do and we should follow Paul's example in joyfully pursuing His plan and purpose for our time here, regardless of our age. (Philippians 1:23-25) Who do you think needed to hear this today? Give up? How about the fellow sitting in the steno chair clicking and clacking on the keyboard? That's right folks. It really is me, it's me, it's me oh Lord, standing in the need of prayer! Some days my best prescription for what ails me comes directly from The Scriptures. I appreciate it so much when it unfolds in that way. Maybe you also can be encouraged as we do our best to keep on keeping on in the life He has given. That is, after all is said and done, our privilege, each and every day that is granted to us. Amen. ....More later...

No comments: