Tuesday, April 12, 2016

“Upon descending our threaded words on the web by a steep and hazardous precipice of readers requires constant review.” ~ quote from an unidentified blogging expert

Well, hello there, how's it going on this Tuesday, April 12, 2016? Whether you recognize it or not, I do spend time attempting to figure out ways to improve my blog writing. I recently subjected paragraphs randomly chosen from a variety of my blogs to a text analysis utility available on the web. It is very detailed in its review. The good news is the score I saw for Readability. Its stated evaluation range goes like this: 100-easy 20-hard, optimal 60-70. My texts typically fell between the high 50's into the low 70's, therefore, I am hitting somewhere close to the optimal readability on most days. I do seem to be a little high in the words that score in the Complexity and Lexical Density category. I need to learn more about what exactly those mean. It could be the utility program has not been trained in Louisiana slang/colloquialisms and I doubt seriously it knows that much about Community Coffee, Paw Paw Mac, and other prominent similar subjects that appear in my writing from time to time. I do know what some of you are thinking. Just because it is mostly readable doesn't necessarily mean it is mostly worth reading. That, my friend, is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. And, just so you know, I feel the same way about it, regardless of whether I wrote it or not.


I haven't done any of the Church bulletin bloopers in a long time. These are reported to be lifted from actual bulletins. It doesn't take much of a mistake to change the intended meaning. ~ Additional volunteers are needed for next week's Easter Egg Nog Hunt. ~ Sister Perozzo is recovering from having her wisdom taken out last week.~ Barbara C remains in the hospital and needs blood donors for more transfusions. She is also having trouble sleeping and requests tapes of Pastor Jack's sermons. ~ Chinese Pizza Supper Tonight ~ During the absence of our minister, we enjoyed the rare privilege of hearing a good sermon from John Smith who supplied the pulpit. ~ Irving Benson and Jessie Carter were married October 24 here at the church building, thus ending a friendship which began in school days. ~ Let us pray for those who are sick of this church. ~ Next Thursday, there will be tryouts for the choir. They need all the help they can get. ~ Our next song is "Angels We Have Heard Get High." ~ Potluck supper Sunday at 5:00 PM. Prayer and medication to follow. ~ Thank you Lord for the blessings that we are too blond to see. ~ The church will host an evening of fine dining, superb entertainment, and gracious hostility. ~ The pastor will preach his farewell message, after which the choir will sing "Break Forth Into Joy." I hope at least one of these gave you something to smile about.

I caught a really great old time radio program the other day. It was an episode of Martin and Lewis, (Dean and Jerry), originally broadcast on NBC on May 26, 1953. They introduced their special guest. They said the fans were clamoring for bright, shining, new faces, and their guest was exactly that kind of star and she was taking Holywood by storm. They then brought on Debbie Reynolds, who was 17. They did a funny routine that was a take off on Hansel and Gretel, called, Look Ma No Hans. It had some pretty good lines. The announcer was George Fenneman. Some might remember him from Groucho's show You Bet Your Life, which is one of my all time favorites. Debbie Reynolds is now 84 years young. Dean passed away in 1995. Jerry is 90 and George Fenneman died in 1997. That show aired some six months before my dad went to his reward and I couldn't help but wonder if he had listened to it. One of the vague picture memories I do have of him is him sitting at a small table listening to the radio. Entertainment was quite different back in those days and while it might not be a fit for today, I thoroughly enjoy listening as I drive down the road. Okay. We dealt with the readability issue, we made fun of Church bulletin typos, and finished up with a hop and a skip down memory lane. That does make for a blog's worth for today. Enjoy. Remember from Whom all blessings flow. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: