Thursday, April 14, 2016

"How incessant and great are the ills with which a prolonged old age is replete." ~ C. S. Lewis

This must be the place and I'm doing my best to get everything up and going here at the ole blogger ranch on this Thursday, April 14, 2016. The other evening some of us older folks were reminiscing about this, that, and the other, when one of the ladies made this comment, "Getting old is not for wimps." She has credibility because of all the health challenges she has dealt with in her life. I recently overheard the wife telling her sister how she had needed to work on the top shelves in her closet. She fetched the stool that she has always used. It's one of those with a round top. She said when she tried to climb up on it, she couldn't do it. She told her sister that she used to hop up on that stool and now she can't even manage to climb up on that stool. I interrupted and told her that's why there's a folding step stool out in the garage where she doesn't have to deal with that problem. It is hard to come to grips with age-induced liabilities. I should know. I'm asked all the time if I need assistance. (Must be the white hair and beard.) Sometimes I actually do need help but rarely agree that I do. I end up doing it myself. I end up paying the price. It really gets my arthritis singing some mournful tunes. I typically end up wishing I had let them help me. Maybe next time. Maybe. Probably not. But, maybe.

My wife is leaving me again. Today. She's headed over to Louisiana for a mini-reunion with her older brother and sister. She will be there until Sunday. I will be here. She will be there. I will be home alone. Again. No. I'm not trying to get sympathy here although it does sound that way. I was just working up a sad story in case I need to use it sometime. I wasn't going for the tear jerker. Not yet. Not this time. Getting your reader to feel your pain is a part of effective communications. But, you all know that I am quite capable of muddling through while she is away. In fact, I'm glad they are able to spend time together. Every time we lose another family member it reminds us not only how fragile this life is but it also speaks to how we can't go back and see them again in this life. I know they will have a great time of laughing, fellowship, and feasting. They always do. Maybe I will learn a new hobby while she is gone. Maybe I could learn how to play Rock, Paper, Scissors. I know I should know how. But, they didn't play that game when I was a kid. I think my boys may have played it. I read the other day they hold a world championship Rock, Paper, Scissors competition each year. Really? Who knew? See what I have missed out on during my sheltered life. I hope I don't worry too much about it while I am trying to learn the game, all alone, at home, by myself, with no one there but me. Maybe I could learn that song, "Don't cry for me Argentina." Maybe not.

I read an obituary the other day about a fellow who had lived a very full life. He left this life at age 66. The obit included 140 photographs. This fellow had traveled to most places on the planet. He had played golf, hunted, fished, and/or been a tourist seemingly here, there, and everywhere. He was a huge supporter of his college. He had a large group of buddies that were in many of the photos. His story would likely epitomize the so-called American dream. He left behind a lovely wife, a son and daughter-in-law. He had been prominent in the Company he worked for. I don't know these people but I thought the total absence of any mention of his faith, a Church affiliation, or anything spiritual was both noticeable, and sad. They did ask anyone who wanted to remember him to make a donation to the charity of their choice. Those were some of the best photos of a person's life I've seen in a long time. They would give National Geographic a run for their money. My point? While I do not know the condition of this man's heart when he left this life, I couldn't help but remember the words of our Savior when He said, "For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul? For what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Mark 8:36-37) That's what I thought when I read about his life of distinction and I thought it was worth sharing. I am well aware that having a Church affiliation mentioned in your death notice doesn't mean you are a child of God, but, having an active testimony for the Lord is always a good way to say farewell to this old world. Or, that's how I see it. Have a great rest of the day and I'll try to keep the home fires burning without burning anything down. May God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: