Friday, April 15, 2016

“This is a question too difficult for a mathematician. It should be asked of a philosopher." (His answer when asked about completing his income tax form.)” ― Albert Einstein

Waiting in line to pay taxes on the very last day.
Good morning. It's Friday, April 15, 2016, and while I know this is a day of concern for many people because of the federal tax deadline, it is still a good day to give thanks unto the Lord. (The actual filing deadline this year is Monday, the 18th because a holiday, Emancipation Day, is celebrated in Washington DC today, therefore, the deadline has been extended.) I know we in this country do a lot of symbolic kinds of things. However, I've just never gotten into that waiting is a long line of cars on the last day to have a postal worker stamp my tax return envelope. In fact, I just can't see any reasonable benefit from putting yourself through that kind of punishment. But, that's just me. I actually feel much the same way about those who camp out at a new chicken joint hoping to get a year's worth of free chicken meals when the new store opens up for the first time. Or, being one of those in the door buster line for a sale of some kind. Everyone is different. Those things are not my cup of tea and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't participate in them for all the tea in China. The variety of 'cup of tea' expressions typically are associated with our British cousins. The 'not my cup of tea' became, over time, a way to describe someone or something that was a pain in the neck. I'm not going to check the origin of pain in the neck because I think I've spent enough time on this already. Without a lot of progress, I might add. One final thought. If you somehow think paying just before midnight is something that rings your bell, and you are willing to wait in line to do so, then, I say get on with it, and enjoy all that comes with it. Meanwhile, I'll say a prayer for you. Joking only.

One of the startling things about political punditry is how it changes when the wind changes direction. There's a guaranteed certain outcome offered up based on expert knowledge. The only problem has to do with how the same commentator completely changes the certain outcome and then gives a guaranteed certain rationale for doing so. I never saw the movie 'Wag the Dog' but I do know its premise. It had to do with a political maneuver to distract the public from a sex scandal by starting a fake war. I'm not wearing my conspiracy helmet today but I often wonder if we are not seeing a similar ruse being played out in real-time during this election cycle. Who are the ones with the most to gain from these fake predictions that are all over the place with such confusing results? When we discuss these matters, my eldest son likes to quote from that scene from the Wizard of Oz: "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." Something is being orchestrated and I for one am becoming increasingly concerned about the potential finale. That's when I remember how God gave Israel what they clamored for when they demanded to have their very own king. They wanted to be just like the other nations. In essence, they got what they wanted but in doing so they rejected God and His Kingship over them. Let's all pray that God does not give us what we are clamoring for, or even worse, what we deserve. Sorry. I had that on my mind so I thought it might help to get it out there.

There is a time and place for everything. And, since there's no other place around at the moment, I suppose I should bring today's and this week's series of episodes to a close. The experts tell us the best way to close is to share 'one more thing.' Since I couldn't think of anything maybe I could sing that Vanessa Williams song, 'Save the Best for Last.' Sorry. I don't know that song. Now I should ask a question. Is it worse to fail at something or never attempt it in the first place? Think that one over. The next thing in closing you should do is to tell a story. A funny thing happened on my way to closing my blog today. I can't exactly remember the details but I think it might just be a good one. I'll get back to you. Next, you should use a timely quote, so here goes: "They say I'm old-fashioned and live in the past, but sometimes I think progress progresses too fast!" (Dr. Seuss) The last is to call everyone to some type of response or action. Do enjoy your Saturday and do your very best to show up at the meeting place on Sunday to hear from God. There you have it. I included the five tips recommended for a good closing. I took the five tips from the first list I found on the first hit on my Google search. Maybe next week. It could be much better. I have no way of knowing, but it could be. May God bless each one is my prayer. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: