Monday, April 25, 2016

"All I really need is love, but a little candy now and then doesn't hurt." ~ Charles Shultz

Good morning and welcome back. Today is Monday, April 25, 2016. We had us a good time with family celebrating the wife's birthday over the weekend. She felt honored. Good. That was the intention of our efforts. It's interesting how things come out of one's mouth at times. I read where a key Democrat Party official in criticizing the republicans had this to say: "Republicans believe that illegal immigration should, in fact, be a crime." Well, how to like that? This lady holds a masters degree in political science and while she may not be a lawyer, she as a member of congress should be very familiar with the definition of the word illegal. The first line more or less gives the idea: "Contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law." That, by the way, is supposedly what they do in congress, make laws. You know. The laws that everyone are supposed to observe and obey. Someone well asked the question: "What part of illegal did she not understand?" I just remembered. Legal or illegal is not so much the issue, votes, that's what's important! How silly of me. Therefore, what we have is nothing more than a case of political pandering. And, in the event that perhaps you've forgotten, I'm just your drive by reporter giving you some facts that I bumped into on my way to doing my blog for today. Again, I report, you can decide for yourself.

You might recall the order I placed for the lime flavored fruit slices. Since I made such a big deal out of it, I thought an update would be in order. They are really good. No. I mean they are really, really good! They are so very limey. They are, in my opinion, five star delicious. One pound. And, yes, I am being careful with them. I think I've adopted a one per day regimen but I would have to do a recount to be sure. That might not work because I don't really know how many there were to begin with. Sorry. I'm not sure what each piece would cost individually but the cost including shipping is around 90 cents per ounce. That's the same unit cost as a package of French's Taco Seasoning but I wouldn't advise eating it straight out of the container. (How did I know that? I looked it up. That's how.) I try my best to go for full disclosure except when it comes to missing Debbie Swiss Rolls. I wonder if she bought the super-sized swiss rolls so they would be easier to find, or, maybe it was to provide a maximum guilt trip just in case someone were to become tempted. As you can see, I have many mysteries that I must deal with each day. One of them is not whether the lime fruit candy slices are worth the price of admission.

Spice Cake
Yes. That little lime candy story is more or less a vehicle designed to bring a smile. It does help when it turns out the little story is also true. I'm already thinking about some of my other favorites for future consideration: Cinnamon; Licorice; and Root Beer. I don't think I have been a huge candy eater over the years but I have been consistent in occasionally consuming the ones I really like. I'm not sure if they played a role in my current diabetic condition but they no doubt are entitled to an honorable mention for their contributions. I also love spice cake and butterscotch pudding. My mom used to make the butterscotch pudding. It was the kind you made on the stove top. She would take those creme filled Vienna finger cookies and line the bottom and sides of a serving dish. After it became chilled, I would eat that dessert and think I had made a journey to a fantasy world, far, far, away. She must have made it primarily for me because as I recall, the other kids didn't fancy it that much. They probably had not taken as many train trips as I had in my dreams to exotic places all over the world. Now you know my sweet weaknesses. Today, because of the ever lurking, never tiring, diabetic evil that inhabits my body, I'm left with my version of the serenity prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot always have; the courage to enjoy them in strict moderation instead of wolfing them down: and the wisdom to know the difference. I'm not that unhappy that the other kids didn't care for the butterscotch pudding as much as I did, but, I could get very angry when I happened upon a dish where all the cookies had been removed. They must not have understood the importance of that luscious combination. Worse still, they probably didn't care. See what a tough life I have had. But, I feel better now, just looking at that bag of lime candy slices. Take care and may God help me and may He bless us, one and all. Amen. ....More later..

No comments: