Thursday, April 7, 2016

"Pew researchers found that 17% of the public regularly listens to talk radio. This audience is mostly male, middle-aged and conservative. Among those who regularly listen to talk radio, 41% are Republican and 28% are Democrats. Furthermore, 45% describe themselves as conservatives, compared with 18% who say they are progressive/liberals." ~ Wikipedia article on Talk Radio

That marching sound you hear is the month moving on down the road and we pause to find ourselves here at this particular intersection noted as Thursday, April 7, 2016. Most of you know that I am often out and about going here and there in and around the Houston area metropolis. And, that gives me time to listen to a variety of radio programs. One of the most popular genres on radio is what has been named conservative talk radio. These programs have hosts who loudly espouse their take on the culture, all things political, and the state of conservatism in our nation. They have huge audiences. They have many sponsors. They make millions of dollars for themselves and their sponsors. I notice that many of their devoted listeners seem to miss that point. These talking heads have a product. They are selling that product and they are benefiting greatly from the proceeds. Many of those calling in are nearly in tears as they praise the great work of these patriots. I'm not saying they are not patriots but I do know they do what they do for a living. A very good living. Stirring people up and getting them angry and causing all manners of controversy and mayhem is a part of what they do. It builds ratings. Many times I agree with the basic principles they espouse but everyone should keep in mind these are paid performers. I think that would perhaps keep some of the idol worship to a minimum. I thought maybe I would pass along my thoughts about it, just so you know. Thanks.

I suppose that rule in political circles about following the money, well, that rule applies to a huge number of areas in life. The Bible clearly teaches that money itself is not the issue. It is the love of money that messes things up. This is how the Apostle Paul was inspired to warn Timothy and by extension, all of us: "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils, which some, stretching after, have been seduced away from the faith and have pierced themselves with many sorrows." (1st Timothy, Chapter 6, Verse 10, taken from the Berean Literal Bible translation) You take the love of money and add a runaway ego and I think you see the world's definition of success. Moses is thought of as one of the greatest leaders the world has ever known. He, following God's direction, led the emancipation of the Jewish people after 400 years of indentured slavery. What was God's assessment of the character of Moses, the great leader? In the Book of Numbers, Chapter 12, Verse 3, we read these words: "Moses was a very humble man, more so than any man on the face of the earth." (Taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible) There are more success books out there than one could ever read, however, I doubt seriously you will find very many that feature humility as a way to get ahead in life. Of course, the Book of Books, God's Holy Word, always gives the right answers, "For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith." (Romans 12:3, New King James Version) Amen.

I just finished re-reading the preceding paragraph and I am sitting here wondering to myself where that came from. There are days when I pretty much just go with the flow. More or less, on some days, it becomes a throwdown of sorts. There are days when I feel like the fellow who entered the 26-mile swimming contest with two other guys. One guy got tired at the 12-mile marker and dropped out. The other fellow made it to the 20-mile distance and he too had to quit. I would be like the last fellow. He made it 25 miles and saw that he couldn't finish, so he turned around and swam back to the starting place. There are times when going backwards seems to fit my profile. At any rate, I did get some stuff slung onto the page and I can now move on, hoping that maybe something better might be ahead. It could be. One can always hope. Or, at least, that's what the little girl is always singing about, "Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, You're only a day away!" I guess we will see what tomorrow has to say for itself in about 24 hours from now. Until then, take care, and may God go with us all. Amen. ....More later..

No comments: