Friday, August 7, 2015

"You might be a redneck if… your high school basketball game got rained out." ~ Jeff Foxworthy, Comedian

I woke up this morning and looked out on the lawn. You thought I was going to say that line about the clatter to see what was the matter didn't you? You know. From the primer for would be Santas, "The Night Before Christmas". I actually hadn't thought about that until after I wrote about looking out on the lawn. I have been enjoying the moonlit mornings. I always do. Here's how that works. I can see much better when the moon is bright. But, you knew that already. Here's another news flash for today: It's Friday, August 7, 2015 and as the line from the Johnny Cash classic puts it, "it is hotter than a pepper sprout". We have had a few drops of water falling from the sky but when they hit the car they make a big splotchy looking mess as the heat immediately explodes them. My old flivver of a car looks like it is wearing a paisley shirt right now. Last Tuesday I was out on the road about sixty miles away from my home base and I drove through a brief but blinding rainstorm. I guess those folks in that particular area must have been paying their preacher. That's what they always said in the area where I grew up when one area got a much needed rain and no one else did. When you hit something like that you can't help having mixed feelings. I am so thankful for this cooling off rain. I sure wish it would stop so I could see the car in front of me. That may be a metaphor for life. Maybe not. I'll have to think about it and get back to you later.

My eldest and I typically attempt to solve all the political issues when we talk. He mentioned the other day he thought he had never seen a situation so messed up when looking at the realistic choices that will be before us in the next Presidential election. He said he never felt more like sitting one out. The only folks that we really believe in are not viable candidates since money and support from the powerful are required to get into the running. He will soon be 50 and while I hate this is how he feels, I know it all too well since that's been my sentiment for sometime now. Shakespeare originated the expression that best defines this thought: From Romeo and Juliet, 1592: "MERCUTIO: I am hurt. A plague o' both your houses! I am sped. Is he gone, and hath nothing?" This later became a way of saying a frustrated curse on both sides of the argument. Or, a plague on both your houses since the political class rules pretty much with very little difference regardless of the party name or their professed ideology. We will get over it because we must. Sitting it out would be a repudiation of our right to vote even if we have to right in the name of an honorable but non-viable candidate.

Expensive!
I did see a tweet the other day where a lady was informing her followers that she had seen the first Christmas items on sale at a major department store. We all know its been backing up earlier and earlier each year. I ordered me a new suit for this upcoming season. It is supposedly in the pipeline. I thought the one I had was pretty expensive until I saw what other Santas pay for theirs. Some cost $1000 or more. The one I ordered is very hard to come by. Because it is made of some exotic material? Nope. Because it is so expensive? Nope. It's because of the size. The smallest they make is still pretty large but they make very few of those in the small size, (42-48). You know: "He had a broad face and a little round belly, that shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly." The one I ordered is a small. I hope to have it by the end of September. The one I currently use is a large. I make it work but it's not easy. From the rare small they go to a whole series of larges with many X's and L's. I got into a little forth and back with a fellow Santa on Facebook who thought a big fat belly was a requirement for a genuine Santa. I told him that I happen to be a diabetic Santa and I wear padding and have never had any complaints. Not even one! Us small Santas have to take up for ourselves. Okay. I've done what I could for the week and now it's time to say so long for now. Have a great Saturday and a wonderful Lord's Day Sunday. Lord willing I will catch up with you next time. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: