Thursday, August 13, 2015

"The New England Journal of Medicine reports that 9 out of 10 doctors agree that 1 out of 10 doctors is an idiot." ~ Comedian Jay Leno

I'm still waiting. I thought maybe someone from the gizzard frying association would have seen my blog and left me a comment and perhaps a refund. You do know that I am just trying to lighten us up for our day. Right? Hey, it's Thursday, August 13, 2015, and as they say back home, we've got places to go and people to see. People remember your stories. At least some of them do. The other evening I was telling about how the doctor had advised they had to be careful treating older patients and the punch line was how that I told him I wasn't asking for my dad. One of the fellows we don't see very often said it reminded him of the one I told about the time the doctor came in and I got up and locked the door behind him. That was the doctor who always wanted to talk religion with me. Especially his. He wanted my opinion on all types of theological questions. That particular day I determined that a portion of our time together would be spent talking about my health as in, my diabetic condition. I believe that was the day he actually examined my feet after I told him that everything I read said it was important to do that. He said fine. Get your shoes off and let's have a look. I'm glad that fellow remembered my story because it even caused me to smile thinking about it. You can laugh too. Life is too short. Laugh some. I have a recent one on myself that is very hilarious but I'm still trying to decide whether to share it or not. It's one of those senior moments on steroids kinds of little tales. Maybe later. Maybe not. We'll see.

Speaking of age, it does seem to be front and center as we continue our journey here on the planet. It's interesting. Middle aged people seem to respect the white hair more than the younger folks. I actually have a few mid twenty somethings that call me by my first name. Not many but a few. It always seems odd to me, not because I'm offended by it, but mostly because I would never have done that to an elder when I was that age. I do notice that I have been getting a lot of sirs along the way. Some days it's like here a sir, there a sir, everywhere a sir sir. The problem comes when I look in the mirror I don't see what the others do. Mind tricks. Believe me I am well aware I'm not as strong as I once was. The other day I had to manhandle three 50 pound boxes while a fellow who was half my age stood and watched. In all fairness he did ask if I could handle it. What? I gave him one of those very polite, "Hey, you talking to me?" I then jerked up those boxes one at a time and walked away like they were filled with air. I later paid the price for that little charade. And, my eldest son also gave me a short lecture on not complaining about my difficulties with older stubborn people. Really? I thought maybe he could have recommended some Asorbine Junior or something like that.

Hey. I embellished that one a lot. I hardly felt anything from lifting those boxes. It didn't bother me...bother me....bother me.... at all.  Okay. You can turn the laugh machine off now. Have you ever wondered what story filler material is? Well let me share some with you: ~...Did you know August has the highest percentage of births... Did you know unless food is mixed with saliva you can't taste it... Did you know the average person falls asleep in 7 minutes... Did you know a bear has 42 teeth... Did you know an ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain... Did you know most lipsticks contain fish scales... Did you know no two corn flakes look the same... Did you know lemons contain more sugar than strawberries... Did you know 8% of people have an extra rib... Did you know 85% of plant life is found in the ocean... Did you know rabbits like licorice... Did you know the Hawaiian alphabet has 12 letters... Did you know 'Topolino' is the name for Mickey Mouse in Italy... Did you know a lobster's blood is colorless but when exposed to oxygen it turns blue... Did you know armadillos have 4 babies at a time and are all the same sex... Did you know reindeer like bananas... Did you know the longest recorded flight of a chicken was 13 seconds...~ With those high flying chickens no wonder gizzards are so expensive. Don't even try to act like you didn't learn something today even if most of it is not that important. Take care and may God bless us all. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: