Thursday, August 6, 2015

"Seeing modern health care from the other side, I can say that it is clearly not set up for the patient. It is frequently a poor arrangement for doctors as well, but that does not mitigate how little the system accounts for the patient's best interest. Just when you are at your weakest and least able to make all the phone calls, traverse the maze of insurance, and plead for health-care referrals is that one time when you have to your life may depend on it." ~ Ross I. Donaldson, M.D., and acclaimed author

A shout out is in order for our twins, our granddaughters, Alesha Camille and Amanda Faith. They are 17 years young today. Back in the summer they helped in the vacation Bible school at their Church. In the birthday card I made for each of them I put a photo of them helping lead the songs at VBS with this verse underneath it: "The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'" (Matthew 25:40) We pause to thank God for these girls and to pray over them as we wish them a wonderful birthday. I think the plan includes a shopping excursion with their MiMi this afternoon. Our love, MiMi and Poppy


                            *******************

Welcome to one and all on this Thursday, August 6, 2015. We are pretty much pleased with the medical services that cover our healthcare. But, even if you like it, it can be tedious at times. The other day I needed to get some age spots checked on my face. Why? I'm an entertainer. You know. Santa Claus. I had talked to a lady in our Church about them using the laser on them. She told me they would need to be cleared by a dermatologist before they could remove them. No big deal. I sent a note to my primary care to find out if he would refer or do I need to pay for an outside doctor. He gave me a referral. Good. I sent that doctor a request for an appointment. I went forth and back via email but finally secured one. It will be on December 1st. Here's the funny thing. That's about three months away but I received a call from a lady wanting to know if I had been out of the country or if I had any contact with someone who was exposed to the EBOLA virus. Within the last 120 days. No and No. She said that based on my responses they could now confirm my appointment. For December 1st. A lot could happen between now and then but for right now I suppose I'm on their agenda. I will have to continue using the cosmetic make up for this upcoming holiday season but I will try to get something done next year. Welcome to the world where a pie slice of your time will be consumed in chasing the medical process, especially as you get older.

Okay. We do know that it is hot. Right? One joker from the Houston Chronicle tweeted out a little ditty about how that if you hated July you might just not be prepared to handle what could be coming in August. He used the image above to illustrate his point. Those of us who have been around these parts for a while are well aware of how hot things can get. Even into September. Even into October. Even into November. And, oh yeah, what about those times we all were wearing our shorts and T-shirts on Christmas day? I've written before about the time in October when I just couldn't handle it anymore. The wife and I drove straight through to Colorado just to get a breath of fresh air. We found a motel and the next morning I pulled a chair outside in the 40 degree weather and drank my coffee. It was damp and cold. Oh what a relief it was! She didn't join me. I tried to leave the door open but she preferred to stay all covered up, head to toe. No. We do not have to be reminded about the heat and humidity. Been there and done that. Wait a minute. I do think I could stand it better back in the day. Thanks for reminding me. I suppose that gets me back to that slice of the pie chasing medical services. Full circle. And, yes, it is hot.

Our trip to Louisiana last Saturday was wonderful. Spending time with mom and dad was priceless. Mom had fallen early that morning. She said if dad trying to get her up had been videoed it would have produced a lot of laughs on Facebook. She was pretty sore. These two are something else. She is losing her eyesight but with an illuminated magnifying glass she can still read her Facebook, her Bible study materials, and she's even working on a puzzle. I'm not sure how they have been able to function on their own for as long as they have, but, I do know that laughter is a part of it. Along with God's grace, of course. They still can joke about their foibles, their mishaps, and even their forgetfulness. They don't hear a lot of what they say to each other but they are able to communicate. We always thank God for them and for their continuing influence in our lives. May He continue to bless them is my prayer. Amen. I do hope you don't have to chase any medical appointments today. If so, try to remember where you have been the last 120 days and be prepared when that appointment comes up in another 90 days to give an account again. Just passing stuff on and trying to be of assistance. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: