Monday, August 17, 2015

"Yesterday is a canceled check; tomorrow is a promissory note; today is the only cash you have - so spend it wisely." - Kay Lyons, Author of Asian children's favorite stories.

I woke up this morning realizing that now basking in my last year of being in my sixties I best get on with whatever it is I want to accomplish. The name I tagged as the writer of this blog with was Sixty-plus. While I can keep on using it for as long I write them because technically it would be correct I may want to revisit that when and if I make it to 70. Feet firmly planted I am now ready to embark upon the next chapter. It begins on this Monday, August 17, 2015. A new start? Hey. Whatever works. Right? I've had so many new starts I've most likely met myself coming back. Maybe it was when I was caught in the circle with no exit ramp to be found. That can happen. I missed my turn the other day and had to go into downtown Houston. Stuff like that used to bother me. I drove here and there until I hit a way out, got back to the place where I messed up and gave it another shot. I used to practically live downtown, now I just use it to get myself turned back around. That too is a part of this journey of mine. Okay. I think I've waxed nostalgic enough that my candle may be fading, therefore, I had better get on with making hay while the sun is shining. That sounds similar to the Biblical word spoken by our Savior: "We must work the works of Him who sent Me as long as it is day; night is coming when no one can work." (Gospel of John, Chapter 9, Verse 4)

This next little ditty has to do with a very alarming situation. I know. I get alarmed pretty easily these days but don't exit out because you think it is about politics because it isn't. I'm talking about a new product to help people get up and get going that really have a hard time doing so. It is a rug that has a built in alarm clock and you have to get up and stand on it to make it turn off. How do you like that? Who said technology couldn't help solve some of the world's greatest problems? I haven't used an alarm clock in thirty five years but I've dealt with folks that have tried just about everything to help them get up and going in the morning. Do I ever fail to respond to my internal alarm clock? I have. A number of times, maybe as many as you can count on both hands. You will be glad to know I have a plan to deal with that. My approach is to be an early early person. That's how this little electronic text gets prepared each day. Since I am an early early guy, well, if I miss that internal clock, I typically end up becoming just an early person. See what I mean? That's another solution offered up free of charge. You gotta love that rug alarm. Right?

I've noticed a trend on Facebook. People are now celebrating their pets' birthdays. Others feel compelled to respond with a hearty happy birthday to Fido or Oscar or Kitty or Doggy. Those last two names came to me and they did seem appropriate. Compelled to respond? Not me. Nope. Sorry, but no thank you. I am very glad that folks care for their animal companions. A fellow told me once that he would sell everything he had to save the life of his favorite dog. I appreciate his devotion but I hope that would not be the case. I suppose the next thing on the agenda will be a national movement entitled 'Pet Lives Matter'. Maybe me writing about stuff like this is why some people think I don't like animals. I love them. Typically grilled but fried makes them pretty tasty as well. You do know that I am very much kidding. The wife and I have actually talked about us having a pet of some kind. No. We haven't even mentioned bringing back the Pet Rock craze. Although from a care and feeding perspective, that's not a totally bad idea. Joking again. When we visit our children I love talking to their pets, loving on them, and when I leave I typically don't remember them again until the next visit. I suppose we have ordered our lives around not having any pets. Before you write me take into consideration we've had all kinds of pets when our boys were still with us. See there. You didn't know that, did you? Enjoy your pets and I'll continue to be thought of as odd. In fact, the question of: "What in the world is wrong with you?" came along a whole lot sooner than us not having pets. Thanks for tuning in today. No. I have not been offered a sponsorship from Alpo. You people are a tough audience. But I've had a little fun and hope you have too. Take care and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: