Tuesday, December 2, 2014

"There is room for everyone on the nice list." Quote by Will Ferrell in the Elf movie.

Hello and welcome to Tuesday, December 2, 2014. We never used the Elf on the Shelf ploy with our kids. It sure is popular today. Best I can tell the idea is the elf doing his thing by constantly spying on the child with the threat of reporting any bad behavior to Santa. I've had parents plead with me to remind their child that the elf is at work and that any and all inappropriate acts will be reported. I had one little girl who told me all she wanted for Christmas was to get rid of that pesky elf. I suppose there is some merit in wanting a child to behave appropriately, however, I'm just not clear on the psychological control being exercised by this elf character. I do know that here in our area it is very widely practiced. Sure, the 'he sees you when you're sleeping and he knows if you've been bad or good' are indications that Santa is watching, however, this actual elf figurine being moved around and hidden here and there, well, I'm just not as sure about that. It seems even to Santa to be a little over the top. But, then again, it takes all kinds. We had a precocious six year old sweetheart on Saturday and when I asked what she wanted for Christmas she didn't hesitate: "A rich husband!"

Meanwhile, my take on the recent election and its aftermath goes like this. The President and his team had their plan ready and came out blazing after suffering a sizable loss at the polling booths of our nation. They were ready. They implemented their plan and took the winners by surprise. The winners were the ones supposedly holding the trump cards but the President and his team outfoxed them. Again. The immigration action was only one of their strategic moves. Now we find out that under the parameters of this executive directive, those who are non-citizens will eventually qualify for social security benefits. Hello? Meanwhile, the so called Republican winners are on the ropes trying to come up with a strategy to deal with this well executed assault. They come across to me as moaning, "Hey, wait just a minute, we're the ones who are supposed to be controlling the agenda." I just hope they do better than they have in the past. I'm talking about taking a clear advantage and figuring out a way to extinguish it. I'm sad to tell you we've been here before. As ole George W. might advise: "You would do well not to misunderestimate the opposition!"

I know. You thought I was so preoccupied with Santa that I was no longer paying attention. Not hardly. It's too important to the health and well being of the Republic going forward for me to put it aside. At the same time we can be sure that our Great God is aware and always at work among us. My Facebook is often filled up with photos from far flung places around the globe where missionary efforts are going forward. Many of those photos show folks being baptized after receiving the Lord Jesus Christ into their hearts. This is wonderful because it reminds us that power in Washington is nothing compared to the power of God as the Gospel goes forth. God's power speaks to the hearts of men, women, boys and girls and compels them to decide, to follow or to reject His offer of salvation. He is still in the saving business and because of that we can have hope for this generation as well as those who follow. Join me in rejoicing over this truth for it is the only hope for a lost and dying world. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: