Wednesday, December 10, 2014

"Everybody knows the Lord loveth a cheerful giver." ~ George Washington Cable, American Novelist, (1844-1925)

Good morning and welcome. We are a blessed people and so many times we don't even grasp just how true this is. Sure, we are living in a messed up world and there are troubles, trials, and challenges all around, but, when we consider our situation, the land we live in, the freedoms we enjoy, and the heritage we carry of faith and family, well, we are a blessed people, and I know most of you would add your Amen to that sentiment. This is what I was thinking about as I sat down to write this note today, on this Wednesday, December 10, 2014. Christmas is known as the season of giving. Last Sunday evening I brought a lesson from Acts Chapter 20 where the Apostle Paul quoted from our Lord with a statement that is not found anywhere else in the Bible. That's pretty remarkable if you ask me. Paul was reminding the folks that had come to say goodbye to him from Ephesus of his personal example. His example of giving. His example of using his own hands to make giving a reality. He was not bragging or wanting them to pat him on the back. He was talking about giving from the inside out. And, he said his example was consistent with this quote from our Lord: "And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" (Verse 35) 


I've heard that passage distorted, and, in my opinion, misrepresented many times. Those who think it has something to do with it being better to be well off enough to give versus being poor and needy miss the point entirely. Do you know what is really being pointed out to us? It's better to have the heart that inclines itself towards loving God and loving others and demonstrating that in genuine giving. Not just money. It has to do with attitude, caring, and the desire of one's heart. The poor widow that Jesus observed giving of her offering to the Lord was an example of one who demonstrated this blessed heart of giving. Many well off folks were putting their big offerings into the collection. Many of them wanted others to notice how much they had given. Here's the assessment offered by our Savior: "Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had." (Luke 21:3-4) This tells me that one can be poor in this world's wealth and yet be rich with a heart that desires and determines to be a giver. I'm not sure altogether why but this matter of heart giving has always been convicting to me. The season also reminds us that God is a giver and He gave His one and only Son that we might have life. Amen


No. I am not asking for you to send me an offering to keep my ministry on the air. In fact, I'm just sharing something that was working on me, therefore, I thought it might just be useful to us all. I suppose at the end of the day it really is true that the matter of the heart is the heart of the matter. Charles Dickens not only wrote about the meaning of heartfelt giving in the Christmas classic, 'A Christmas Carol', but he also campaigned on behalf of the impoverished in his land. This was a consistent theme in his writing and in his life pursuits. And, what we find ourselves actually doing is the answer to what we really have in our heart. Caring is good. Caring enough to follow the Apostle Paul's example shows forth and puts into action the outcome of a caring heart. Okay. Now you know how God and His Word speaks to me, and, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this matter. Meanwhile, enjoy the day that the Lord has made and rejoice in it, and I will do my best to see you next time. Lord willing, of course. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: