Friday, December 19, 2014

Inquiring minds want to know: Do snowmen eat Frosted Flakes for breakfast?

There's a lot of power in a blank page. It stares back at you all puffed up with its blankness. It can be intimidating and at times you want to just let it have its own way, but, that would not be today my friend, therefore, we are off and running, one more time on this Friday, December 19, 2014. I have two more Santa appearances to fulfill this weekend and then I am done for the season. I can fully appreciate the sentiment expressed by Clement C. Moore in his classic from 1822, 'The Night Before Christmas', where the jolly little dude, upon making his farewell exit, was heard to say: "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!" What about the benefits of the sauna experience you get when you suit up? That's actually a good question but I will happily find another source of weight management. Even as I speak we are right smack dab in the middle of planning our family gathering for Christmas day along with getting ready for the road trip we hope to start the day after. Lots and lots of things happening with many new ones being added as we make our way forward. The wife is making some noises about us suiting up for photos with all our own clan since we haven't done that in years. I think I may have grunted a time or two when she mentioned it. I'll need to wait for her interpretation of my response before we see what happens.

Let me pause here to remind us all that while we do our best to make this time of year festive and enjoyable, many folks do not have that on their radar at all. It is a sad time for many as they deal with loss or maybe reflect on disappointing life experiences. Some continue to struggle with all kinds of pressures from within and without. We are very aware of the homeless and they are often mentioned at this time of year. Yet, there are so many who do have homes that are unwell and malnourished in terms of their emotional well being. The holidays do that to certain folks. I'm actually thankful for the memories I have of those near and dear to us but are now awaiting us on the other side. I think about my dad, my big brother, my baby sister, my grandparents, my in-laws, other close relatives, and so many more who were a part of my life. Thinking about them and remembering Christmases with them does bring a tear, but at the same time I'm thankful for the blessed hope that was present in their lives and how that our faith in Him will one day bring us all back together. You know, as the country song puts it, "When I get where I'm going." Amen.

The 'Home Alone' movies are running non stop at this time of year. You can watch them over and over because of one reason. They are funny, period, end of story. I remember one year we had the wife's family in for a holiday celebration. It may have been Thanksgiving. We had just purchased the first Home Alone movie on VHS. We put that tape on and I can't remember ever being in a room with that much laughter. Her folks had never seen it. The wife's dad and her brother were both pastors and most likely did not have many opportunities to participate in a laugh-a-thon. They did that day! In fact, they were doubled over. The other day the wife told me that when you think about how far fetched the premise is of that little boy being able to do all of those things it's just kind of silly. Silly or not, it is funny. To me. But, nothing will ever replace my memories of the seeing her folks laugh so hard. Now that's a good flashback to end on for today, therefore, I'll do just that. Here's my suggestion: Have a great Saturday and enjoy the last Lord's Day Sunday before Christmas. Meanwhile, I will see what I can scramble up for our next time together. May God bless each one. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: