Tuesday, December 16, 2014

"Then the angel said to them, Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. "And this will be the sign to you: 'You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.'" (Luke 2:10-12)

Here we go again and this time we open our eyes to find out that it's Tuesday, December 16, 2014. I know that you know that I love the Santa stuff as it relates to children. Of all ages, but, mostly the little ones. Some of the things they tell me are quite insightful. When we did the photos at the Church one six year old young lady had this analysis, "I know you are Bro. Al, and not the real Santa, however, I also know that you talk to him face to face." I do? Okay. I suppose that was to make sure I let Santa know exactly what she was expecting under her tree. One little guy at Chick-fil-A told me that he and his parents had looked for my sleigh and since it wasn't on the roof he concluded that I had appeared there by the use of my magic. I learn new things every day. Another little girl blurted out that she had seen several Santas before but I was the first real one she had ever seen. Good because that's the idea. You never know what exactly might be coming next. One middle aged lady came over with her older teenaged son. She giggly announced that she was ready to make her husband jealous. She plopped herself down in my lap and put her arms around me and the boy took the photo. She was laughing and laughing. I guess that proves the old adage: It really does take all kinds.

I do want to appreciate Mrs. Claus because she has stepped up her game this year. She is in many more photos than in prior years and she is even getting her shot at holding a few of the kickers and the screamers. Children love her. Probably the best thing she has done for me this year is to help get the second child lifted onto my knee. I can handle the first one. No problem. But having one on the knee while trying to get the other one up is a real chore and she has been good to work with me on getting this done. She also reads to the children in some venues and she has worked with tables full of kids helping them do take home crafts. I think being busy makes her feel like she is contributing but she also gets to feel pretty worn out when it's all over. One of the really neat things is when we walk to our car after leaving the restaurant for the evening. Those folks in the drive thru were not aware of Santa night and those windows come down and the kids are unbelievably excited. Seeing their faces light up and their spontaneous response really does illustrate the innocent joy of children during the holiday season.

Our pastor brought a lesson this past Wednesday evening about the shepherds that received the announcement from the angelic realm. (Luke Chapter 2) He put forth what a number of scholars have concluded about these sheep herders. They were most likely special set aside workers who took care of the animals that were to be used in Temple sacrifices. I remember reading Dr. Afred Edersheim's treatise on this subject. He is perhaps the most prolific Christian historian and theologian to have ever written on matters pertaining to our Savior. His seminal work, 'The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah' is, from my viewpoint, one of the most profound works of historic investigation I know anything about. He lived from 1825 to 1889 and I highly recommend the reading of all his books and articles, most of which exist online today. If these shepherds were those special shepherds it really is thrilling to contemplate the imagery here. They were charged with making certain there were lambs without spot or blemish for sacrifice and God sent His angelic band to call them to Bethlehem to observe the Messiah, the Christ Child, the sinless perfect Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. I don't know about you but that's an absolutely inspiring and astounding thought. So, think about it. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: