Friday, December 5, 2014

From Weightwatchers: The First Day: "A Partridge in a Pear Tree" Partridge and quail are not Power Foods, but pears definitely are. Most fruits are free, a pear will cost you 0 PointsPlus values, and we're not going to do much to fancy it up here, especially seeing as we're going to get more exotic as the days go on. Grab a couple pears, slice them up, and pop on some old Partridge Family reruns on the First Day. It may take a few moments, but the abstract thinkers in the house will appreciate the subtle humor."

Good morning to one and all. It's Friday, December 5, 2014, and I bid you welcome as we all get ready for another day in the neighborhood, so to speak. I'll be leaving early from my regular workplace today so that I can spend some more time posing at the professional photographer and we also have a three hour session scheduled tonight with a huge group of kids where, based on past experience, the line will be long and the action will be hot, and the hot part is just that, hot and sweaty. But, it's work that we have chosen to do, therefore, we are not complaining. Much. In case you missed it someone has calculated a cost for the elements mentioned in the famous 12 Days of Christmas song. I have no idea how they came up with the pricing of each grouping but they did. I have no idea why they did it. I have no idea why anyone would want to know but obviously someone might like to know, therefore, I will give you the grand total and you can Google up the details if you want further explanation. Total amount: $27,653.00 Now you know. Feel better? It didn't do anything for me either.

A week or so ago I noticed a new addition on the crooked little road I travel each day to work. It was against a fence after a fairly sharp curve. It had a bunch of flowers and a cross. I recognized it immediately. It was a makeshift memorial for some young person who had wrecked and lost their life. Those things put a knot in my belly every time I see one. I can tell you this: There are way too many of them in and around our area. This little road has a 40 miles per hour speed limit for a reason. It can be very treacherous. You've heard plenty about the wildlife that roams here, there, and everywhere. The other afternoon I passed by that spot and saw what was likely mom and dad there at the memorial. She was on her knees wailing away and dad was bending over her and patting her on the back. It's not a scene that any parent would ever want to be a part of, but, things can change is a heartbeat, and this little roadway has proven that many times before. I immediately offered up a prayer for these folks dealing with this loss.

It's amazing how much emotion can be communicated in the time it takes to drive by. Call it a gut check but life as we know is very fragile. Yes, my friend, things can change in a heartbeat. I don't know about you but I've had myself one busy week. The other morning I was thinking about the prior day where I had been on the run all day and it suddenly hit me. I felt compelled to pause and offer up thanks to God that I am able enough to fulfill that kind of day. I know. Sixty-eight may be the new 58 or something else, but for me the bones are the ones that play the song I am hearing. I am thankful that as a high mileage vehicle I'm still able to add a few more. My point? Don't take even the small things for granted and be sure to recognize God's provisions in your life. Like the blessing of another day. That would be my little bit of advice as I end up our time together for this week. I do hope you will enjoy your Saturday and the Lord's Day coming up on Sunday. May God bless each one. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: