Friday, December 12, 2014

"I've never owned a cell phone and don't plan on ever having one. If anyone needs to talk to me, they know where I live." ~ Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty Patriarch

What's that? You hope my political ranting is under control today? I have much more to share in an astute followup but I'll hold that back for another day. How in the world are you and yours today? I am thankful to report that we are well, praise the Lord. It's Friday, December 12, 2014 and it's not only beginning to look like Christmas, well, it's nearly here. Technology is a wonderful thing. I get a kick out of hearing my mom who is 90 talk about her talking to a network technician in trying to resolve a problem with her internet connection. I bet my mom would never have dreamed that at 90 years old she would be involved in an hour long session to reset her modem and restart her computer in order to fix a problem. It also works on the little ones as well. That cartoon is an absolute fact and I should know. It wouldn't be good for you to question my authority on the subject with me checking my list and all of that. Last Tuesday evening a group showed up at the Chick-fil-A and they had their photos made with Santa while they were there. They were maybe 10 or 11 years old I suppose. Five girls and one boy. They all had their own cell phones and they all wanted photos made with each of the phones. The mom took the photos, one at a time, individual poses and then as a group. Each phone had 3 or 4 applications they wanted used to capture the shot. The mom did it! What a champion! She was as cool as a cucumber as she searched and waded through application after application to find the next photo utility. After all of that the kids later returned for each of them to make their own selfie with Santa. (That's where they hold their cell phone out in front of them and click a photo with me in the background along with any of the other kids showing up behind me to do what they call a photo bomb.) I hope you are taking notes. They were great kids but I'm exhausted just talking about it. (I refer you to exhibit A in the cartoon: Santa's expression.)

This is not necessarily a funny story but it is a true story. This lady brought her two kids in for a photo. The children were absolutely gorgeous and their photos turned out great. The lady leaned down and said, "Santa, I have a huge problem. My mother-in-law is in the hospital. We are keeping her little dog. That little dog means the world to her. The little dog wandered off this afternoon. My mother-in-law doesn't like me. You do know she will kill me if I don't get that dog back. Can you please help?" I'm not making this up and may I just tell you that she was as serious as a heart attack. Just before we left she showed up over at a table where Mrs. Claus was visiting with a friend who had dropped by. She poured out her story to them. I heard the wife tell her that she was going to pray that she would find that little dog. Like I say, I know it's not funny but you will have to admit it is somewhat bizarre. Maybe not as much as the little girl who asked for a rich husband but still pretty odd if you ask me.

Don't spend too much time worrying about my next round of astute observations. I thought the word astute might be a little over the top but perhaps I was channeling some of those who believe themselves to be a legend in their own mind. Just joking. I will tell you this, I wrote my political piece before the talking heads even put together their very predictable assessments. Leading edge and all of that stuff. But, I'll let that be a coming attraction, distraction, or maybe even a subtraction depending on what it looks like at the time. Meanwhile, we do have and I'm sure you also have other fish to fry. I've enjoyed our time together this week and hope that you will have a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Most Churches are using Christmas music now and that's always thrilling to participate in and enjoy. Take care and I will do my best to see you next Monday morning, Lord willing of course. If you were to happen to see that little dog don't call me because I have no idea who that lady was. Just so you know. Thanks. May God bless each one. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: