Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full." ~ Henry A. Kissinger

Thanks for tuning in today on this channel. It's good to see you as I get ready to broadcast Episode 1731. Talk about mucking up the airwaves! But, thanks to those who send me notes from time to time that confirms a level of connection to many of you who follow along with us each day. It is Wednesday, February 26, 2014, where you find me trying to figure out if it really is true that staying busy makes you feel younger. Most weeks this would mean I should be pretty much bubbling over with youth and vitality. That's where the disconnect comes in. The first thing I do each Monday is fill in my calendar book for the week. I'm not complaining but I typically do start off each week with very few open slots before I even get going. That supposedly will make me feel young? I've been told I wouldn't know how to not be busy even if I had the opportunity. That may be true but I do know when I do get home and when I do find my way to that recliner, well, it doesn't take long for me to make the journey to dreamworld land. The other evening I was watching some reality police show and when I dozed off they were interviewing a suspect and when I woke up they were still interviewing a suspect. The only problem was that it was 30 minutes later and it wasn't even the same cop show. See what I mean? The older I get that time for the lights to go out gets shorter and shorter. I used to laugh at people who could take a nap at the drop of a hat. Bam! Lights out. Now I'm becoming the hat dropper, but I feel younger as a result, or, that's what I keep telling myself.

I did my first round of our annual federal tax input the other day. I use one of those automated software based utilities to assist me in my filing. These programs are really neat and you can start off with last year's information and then just make changes as needed. In the one I use it puts the number up in the right hand corner of the screen that you will be getting back, or, the number that you will owe and it updates it with every entry you make. That gives you a running commentary on what kind of face to make as you work through the process. It is a real useful feature. I have found, however, that I am much more inclined to be happy when the number has a minus sign in front of it. Unfortunately, when it goes the other direction it kind of amplifies the dread as the input process continues. Here's what I tell the wife. We are blessed to have the resources God has provided to us, therefore, we should be thankful that we have done well enough to owe more. You know what? If you say that a whole bunch of times in a row, you might just believe it. That's a joke because I honestly do believe it, and yes, I do know there are many ways, (that do not risk jail time), to avoid having to write a check on April 15th, but, thanks for reminding me.

Many of you are kind enough to ask about my mom and dad from time to time. They are coming out of some health challenges over the past several months but thanks be to God they are doing pretty well at the moment. On most days I wouldn't want to try and keep up with dad as he is one who really does embrace the staying active principle. Mom is able to stay in touch with her children, other family members, and friends, through phone calls, Facebook, and emails. They do their best to remain actively engaged in the work and ministry of their local Church. I typically talk to them everyday, often twice a day. I tell mom all the time that as she approaches the 90 year mile marker of her journey here on the planet she is breathing rarefied air that very few folks get to enjoy. We do thank God for His provision in us continuing to be able to have mom and dad with us. It is a blessing folks, a blessing indeed. And, she still frets over us kids like she did when we were at home. Now isn't that something? Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: