Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mr. President, the buzz saw that your healthcare bill ran into wasn't lobbyists and special interests it was tens of millions of American's who were saying, 'Stop!' ~ John Boehner

Happy happy greetings on this Tuesday, February 4, 2014. Most of you know that for the past seven years I have worked for a small business. We typically have around 35 employees reflecting a broad range of experience from entry level helpers, top notch welders, and skilled metal working technicians. I applaud our owner for offering healthcare coverage that he helps to pay for. If you have been stranded on an island for the past several years you might be the only one who may not know about new requirements based on the new healthcare law, called Obamacare, that went into effect beginning with this new year. While I am covered on a Medicare affiliated plan, I was still required as an employee to sit in on the briefing about the changes being made to the company coverage being offered. The actual wording officially calls the new law the Affordable Care Act, but, may I make clear that the workers in the session I was a part of had one unified response, "I cannot afford this!" It quickly became the unfordable care act for them. In fact, while some of them may not speak good English, they did know how to say, "Where do I sign up to pay the penalty?" This is not a made up story or one that I read in some conservative biased news source. I was there. I saw the numbers. In my opinion, this is why opposition is growing, and the best I can understand it, the insurers say this is only a prelude to what is likely coming down the pike.

I know people who say the President is only trying to help folks who have no health coverage. They believe it shows a lack of compassion on the part of any who oppose this plan. All I can say is, if this is the solution to that problem, then I'm not sure it will solve it since it depends on government bureaucracy to deliver, and, more importantly, if you kill the paying person in the process, what have you accomplished? I read where one region of the country that went all in for the new law now has an average 72 day wait for a regular doctor's appointment. What does all of this tell me? We are in need of reform within the healthcare delivery system in our nation but having it become a government run program is not the answer. Sadly, with all the chaos brewing, having the government dominate it even more is exactly the next step in the process and many believe this was President Obama's intention all along. What a mess. What a mess.

Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. In the State of the Union address, the President said he was willing to listen to any Republican ideas that make sense and then he uttered this unforgettable little ditty, "Let's see if the numbers add up." I don't know which speechwriter came up with that jewel but if that doesn't beat all, I'll eat my hat. I started to say something about the pot calling the kettle black but surely someone out there would think it was a racial slur. But, how funny is that line about the numbers needing to add up? The administration have no answers about the money. They don't know who has paid and not paid. They will not know until they know but they don't know when that will be, but, yet, they have the gall to say they will consider any ideas to improve the law based on the premise: "Let's see if the numbers add up." That's not just worthy of a smirk, chuckle, or laugh out loud. That gets a full blown incredulous guffaw, if you ask me. You didn't, but I told you any way. Aren't you glad I'm here to give you these thoughtful insights? Not so much? And, may I add that it would be funny but it's not because, like here at my workplace there's just too many in line to pay the penalty. I almost worry more about what they will do next to try and fix it, but, I'll save those concerns for another day. Take care, remember that while I might rant and rave, I am fully aware Who is in ultimate control. My trust is in Him. Amen.        ....More later.

No comments: