Thursday, February 27, 2014

Happy Birthday to our baby boy, Rodney!

Hello folks. It's Thursday, February 27, 2014, and we are pausing today to thank God for the baby in our family, Rodney Darrell. He turns 43 years young today. I suppose there are all kinds of markers that help one to gauge their time here on the planet, but perhaps one of the most obvious is the age of your children. Our Rodney grew up as the little entertainer in our group. He was known as the 'live wire' among the kids when they all got together. If I'm not mistaken that's more or less how he still operates among his circle of friends and family. We are thankful for his devotion to his family, his work ethic, and his commitment to values that reflect his upbringing and his Christian heritage. I can remember him sitting next to me as a three year old as I played badly on the guitar and we both blared out the Merle Haggard classic, 'MaMa Tried'. In his case, unlike the song, Rodney's mom also tried but he did listen. Happy Birthday Son and may God add His special blessings to your special day. Amen. Love, mom and dad

I'm doing my very best to maintain my composure as well as my support for great community events. I'm talking about the rodeo. It's that time of year here in the Houston metroplex. It is one of the biggest shindigs that happens around these parts. A big part of the hoopla involves something called trail rides. They come from far and wide, literally from all directions and are made up of horse riders, horse pulled wagons, and they are typically accompanied by a string of support vehicles. If you so happen to take a roadway that connects into where the aforementioned rodeo riders happen to be, well, the result is nothing short of sheer madness. Buses, 18 wheelers, log trucks, delivery vehicles, all piled up behind Mr. Ed and his partners who are moseying their clip clopping way along. I know. The count to ten thing is an option and it does work when it works. After doing that for about 50 times and then being forced into making a 45 minute mother of all detours to try and get around the congestion, well, it's enough to make me hotter than a cheap six shooter, if you follow my metaphor. Okay. Here's the deal: We have some 6 million folks living in the vicinity and some good portion of them are always fully engaged in the act of holding their collective breath as they fly along the highways and bi-ways that dot the landscape. May I just say that bringing horse drawn wagons into that mix does not make it work better. I'm not saying that I'm overjoyed about the trail riders being out there in the pouring rain and cold, but, when you think about it, they would want to be authentic. Right?

Well, according to tons of people writing on Facebook, they are taking personal credit for getting Piers Morgan fired from CNN. He is the Brit that took over Larry King's slot but during his brief run he tended to create many controversies, especially in his outspoken criticisms of American freedoms. Probably his biggest push back came when he bad mouthed the 2nd Amendment and got all of the gun rights' folks fired up. (No pun intended.) Actually, the way I read it, he was let go due to the fact that hardly anyone cared enough to watch his program. I was one of those who never did. Not even once. I may have watched Larry King a few times if he was interviewing someone I wanted to hear from, but, Piers Morgan, no thank you. For those taking credit, well, go ahead and do so. Knock yourself out. I mean, think about it. I was inconvenienced by a bunch of trail riders and now they are out there in the cold cold rain. YES! Sorry. Just trying to make a point so don't go getting yourself all hot and bothered. On the other hand, being hot and bothered might be a good thing if you happen to be sitting on the back of your wet pony in the cold cold rain. Take care and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: