Wednesday, February 19, 2014

"The political spin in Washington is revolting, just revolting. It's a callous political game." Rob Bishop, Republican U.S. House Representative from Utah

Hello to one and all on this Wednesday. That's what my calendar reads along with the fact that it lands on February 19, 2014. One really has to wonder these days. When it comes to anything that has to do with government on any level, I ask this question: Is literally everything we hear, regardless of the source, influenced and contaminated by spin? That word 'spin' has to do with an individual taking information and presenting it based on their own personal persuasion or slant. A piece of information is released. One person reports that based on this information everything is lovely. Another person reports on the same information and says everything is lousy. While the factors used to come up with their conclusions are no doubt a part of the information, it's not possible that both of the reports are accurate. No wonder so many people stay confused and many of them choose to tune out. Or, you have those who are predisposed to embrace a particular viewpoint, therefore, they only listen to spin that agrees with their viewpoint. (Everything is lovely.) The opposite occurs with the other way of seeing it. (Everything this is lousy.) My belief is that everyone must do their own fact checking in order get a sense of the truth. That's the only way we can have an informed opinion. Sadly, I think perhaps I've arrived at the predisposed position that reflects this sentiment: "A pox on all their houses." And, to make matters worse, I actually think I believe what I just said, no spin intended.

No. I am not wishing that some virulent disease would befall all those in government. I am saying, however, that I have very little trust in those who wield power, regardless of their party affiliation. I am sure there may be notable exceptions but while I believe myself to be more well informed than many folks, I can't think of any off the top of my head. We have every reason to be wary of those who make decisions that impact our lives and perhaps more importantly, those who impact the lives of our offspring going forward. I believe our founders desired citizens who were actively engaged as opposed to a people prone to join the horde of lemmings mindlessly going off the cliff together. Here's what drives me up the wall. A black person says since President Obama is black, this means every criticism of him and his policies are only because of the color of his skin. In the same way, you have a gun rights person who says this President is not strong in upholding their constitutional right to bear arms, therefore, every vile and despicable thing they hear about him must be true. Here's what I say: During my lifetime there's been enough corruption of all types, sizes, and flavors, and it has abounded in all camps, regardless of the label being worn. While I consider myself to be conservative in my viewpoints, I am very much aware of politicians who espouse conservative principles while in reality they too are feeding at the hog trough filled with power and elitism. This does not mean I am down on our system, or that I am ungrateful for all the blessings we enjoy here in our country. It does mean that I do my best to be realistic about the way things operate, and, knowing this, I feel an obligation to do what I can about it.

I am also aware that many folks see it completely different than I do. They have their designated champions who they believe to be true blue in terms of their commitment to whatever viewpoint or cause they support. I don't have a problem with that. Our freedoms allow us to actively engage or to totally disengage from participation in the political process as we so choose. I suppose I did turn today's episode into my soapbox as opposed to sharing some lighthearted and cheery prose. Sorry about that. Some of you know that when I started this venture I had in mind to call it The View From My Pew but before I began publishing them I changed it to The View From Here. I thought that some might see the pew view thing as being a wee bit narrow although I didn't personally think it was. At any rate, maybe you got the pew view today, but, take heart, by tomorrow, no one knows what might be coming down the road. Lastly, let me again reiterate the overwhelming truth that always gives us hope. That is in knowing God and in realizing He is Sovereign and in control of all things, therefore, He will make all things right in His own good time. That's how we can stay positive even during these times filled with frustration and uncertainty. We can live each day knowing that His promise to us is sure: "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans Chapter 8, Verse 28) Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: