Wednesday, February 5, 2014

"The reason women don't play football is because 11 of them would never wear the same outfit in public." ~ Phyllis Diller

Hello and welcome to Wednesday, February 5, 2013. Thanks for showing up here at the place where we can sip on a cup of hot, black, and strong Community while we do our best to straighten up all the stuff that needs it. I can dream. Right? Okay. The super duper Superbowl turned out to be a super bust in terms of all the predictions. I didn't really have a dog in the hunt but was to a certain degree rooting for Peyton since he is nearing the end of his career and since he had the greatest season ever after recovering from what many thought was a career ending neck injury. The game? It was too ugly to watch. So, here's what I did. I didn't. Watch, that is. Unfortunately, there were not that many alternatives. I did catch some up-to-the-minute news which seemed not to be so up to the minute to me. I watched RFD-TV where they play some wholesome entertainment shows like Larry's Country Diner. Mark Lowry, the Christian singer and comedian was the guest on this week's episode. It was good and Mark got in some great words of testimony for our Lord. I know what everyone wants to know. What was my favorite commercial? Since I was only flipping forth and back, I didn't see that many of them, but the one that struck me as being good was the MetLife Peanuts cast gathering around the piano for their rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. I did like that one. I did.

Yesterday I went for my six month diabetes check up with my doctor. My appointment was for 8:20 a.m. with blood work to follow. I'm thankful for the medical team that helps watch over me. I appreciate their efforts on my behalf. I don't mind delaying the intake of any food until after the blood has been drawn. And, I am very much interested in the results that will be available within a few days. But, there's one thing that really bugs me. The list of things I should avoid includes coffee which means no COMMUNITY until 10 a.m.! (Technically, it was more like 11 a.m. since I was compelled to fetch some of the knock off java they sell at the golden arches on my way back to the office.) I've asked to speak to the person who developed these fasting/no coffee rules but so far I've not been able to do so. You would think there would be some type of appeals process. After all, this is America folks, home of the brave and the land where those who have a clue drink Community. Just joking. I know. We all have our little challenges in life. I made it but it wasn't easy. At least I kept my composure and thankfully my Christian testimony when that little nurse asked is such a cheery little voice, "And just how are we doing today?"


Maybe I could get them all to show up early on the day I am scheduled, say, 5 a.m. It's a thought. Let me be clear. While I make jokes about things like coffee, I am well aware that many are dealing with issues where there is very little to laugh about. I'm also the first to say that if missing out on my morning coffee is the biggest problem I have to deal with, then, I really don't have much to complain about. But, it does make for a good little story, and, that's what much of this daily visit is about, telling stories. Thinking about complaining reminds me of an elderly fellow who used to be in our local fellowship. When you first greeted him, he always had the same response, "If I kicked I outta be." It took me a while to get the full import of what he was saying. If he kicked or complained about something he should be kicked himself. That was his way of saying that as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, he was doing just fine. It's like the Southern Gospel classic written by Mosie Lister, "Well I'm feeling mighty fine I've got heaven on my mind Don't you know I want to go where the milk and honey flow There's a light that always shines down inside this heart of mine I've got heaven on my mind and I'm feeling mighty fine.." Sounds good to me. Take care and may God bless us all. Amen.    ....More later

No comments: