Friday, February 7, 2014

"All the good ideas I ever had came to me while I was milking a cow." ~ Grant Wood, American Painter, 1891-1942

In 1930, Iowa artist Grant Wood painted American Gothic. The models (pictured here) used for the painting were his sister Nan Wood Graham and his dentist, Byron McKeeby.
Seems like we were just here, but, when I say ....more later, I suppose that's exactly what I mean. If you don't believe me, stay tuned for Friday's edition here on this February 7, 2014. I know the silly face photos are in vogue today but I can't for the life of me figure out why. I suppose it has something to do with humor and making a memory but seeing folks and families with their faces all twisted up just doesn't do much for me. This past season they even asked Santa to become a party to such nonsense. Have they no shame? I get the part about teenagers and kids doing it. Acting crazy more or less comes with the territory. But, family portraits? Sorry. Maybe the parents want their children to remember them as wild and crazy guys. I must have missed out on that portion of the gene pool. It is, however, a free country, and if you like posting those kinds of photos, then go for it. Meanwhile, old stick-in-the-muds like me will likely continue with our version of the American Gothic portrait or a facsimile thereof.

We all know there are plenty of haters who are doing anything and everything they can to root against and cause the Duck Dynasty franchise to fail. Once you are in the crosshairs of the Hollywood elite and the mainstream media, odds are, you will likely be destroyed. In this case, there is one little factor they may not have taken seriously. That's the ordinary Jane and Joe Doe viewer who makes choices about what they will and will not watch. The good news for the Robertson family is how they have persevered and since their first show of the new season, they continue to be at the top of the charts for all of cable. Here's their most recent numbers from the category 'This week's most-watched cable shows': Cable Top 25: 'Duck Dynasty' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending February 2, 2014 ~ Cable Top 25: 'Duck Dynasty' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending January 26, 2014 ~ Cable Top 25: 'Duck Dynasty' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending January 19, 2014. While sponsors do feel the pressure from the elites, it's you and I who buy their products and they typically will always vote with their profit motive in mind. Oh yeah, in case you wondered, we're still watching, and we're still laughing out loud.

I've read through some of the reporting coming out of the winter Olympic games being held in Sochi, Russia. I do hope the athletes fair better than the reporters have thus far. The news folks who went a few days early are talking about their accommodations like they would from a 3rd world country. No running water. The rooms are incomplete. You cannot think about drinking the water and signs are up everywhere warning you not to. Toilets are either incomplete are out of service. Some hotels are still without heat. When Russia won the contract for the games they estimated the cost would be around $12 billion dollars. It has already exceeded $50 billion and the most interesting game may be who can guess the closest to the total that went to graft and corruption. Most would say at least half. And, to think, we actually have folks here in our country who think a Russian style of government would be better for us. I will not go as far as to tell them to be sure and close the door when they leave but I do understand how folks could feel this way. I'm very sure we will be hearing much more about all of this as the days unfold. Here's a prescription for us all to consider: Enjoy your Saturday. Be sure and meet up with other believers on Lord's Day Sunday. And, finally, tune in next time as I will do my best to come up with something to write about. Until then, may God bless each one is my prayer. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: