Friday, February 14, 2014

Genesis 29:20 “Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.”

I bring you greetings and love on this day devoted to selling billions of dollars of goods and services, all in the name of love. That's right, it's Friday, Valentine's Day, February 14, 2014. It's like all the sports radio programs have been taken over by the hawking of chocolate, cards, flowers, teddy bears, and all kinds of restaurants, and other services. The nature of the ads are somewhat threatening. They want to shame the regular sports listener into coughing up some bucks, not out of devotion to their spouse, but rather, as a way of avoiding what might happen if you don't do it. I don't have a problem recognizing my wife today and everyday, but, I also know that if I do it under those circumstances, it would be a pretty poor excuse for what my devotion to her should be. I was thinking about our Dear Brother Milton who performed our wedding ceremony in 1964, and then some 22 years later he stood before our eldest as he and his bride were united in holy matrimony. That service was unique. He told our Chris that his bride may not always be as beautiful as she was on that day. She might suffer from age, illness, and other factors in life. He told him there might come a day when he would need to feed his wife by hand every spoonful because she might be unable to feed herself. His point? Love between a husband and a wife is a commitment that transcends the greeting card, happily-ever-after concept. Selfless commitment proven by action is the definition of true love as given in the Bible. (1st Corinthians Chapter 13)

Say hello to a big transition to my next little story. The other day I was out and about on the freeways when one of those big wreckers came up beside me. It was one of those where they wench up the vehicle to ride on top of the truck bed. He had a vehicle. I did a double take. It was a late model hearse and it looked pretty well demolished. I mean you have to know that if you put any vehicle on the road there's the potential for an accident, but, it being a hearse, well, it did look odd to me. I know something like that would have been dangerous to the driver but I doubt seriously the passenger traveling in the back of the hearse would have cared one way or the other. No. I am not switching to my morbid storytelling mode. It just looked odd to me in a kind of quirky way. I got to thinking about the police report: One previously confirmed dead man was pronounced dead again at the scene. Or something like that. I guess you would have had to have been there. Or perhaps it's best that you weren't. I think you know what I mean. Right, Vern?

We all know that it's important to make sure you know the situation before making a comment. I read about a fellow who was new to his job. A supervisor he had not met came into his area and made a little speech to all the employees. The new guy thought the supervisor was impersonating the cartoon character, Sylvester the Cat, therefore, when he finished his talk, the new fellow piped up with his best raspy voice: "Sufferin Succotash!" No one laughed. The supervisor was using his own voice and he had a speech impediment. I hope that new guy remembered his interviewing skills. We all tend to find ourselves at times chiming in when staying quiet would have been a better choice. Especially when we don't have a good understanding of what exactly is going on. I know. That's never stopped me before. But, it does give me something to talk about that might help us all. Now, here's the deal. Enjoy your Saturday and Lord Day's Sunday and I'll be getting ready to chime in once again on this same station come next Monday. Until then, may God bless each one is my prayer. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: