Monday, November 5, 2012

You are kidding aren't you? Afraid not my friend, afraid not.

Good morning and welcome back to where we were last time we visited. That would be correct. I still need the truth expressed in Psalm 46. It wasn't a one time deal. I need it every single minute of every hour in each day. It is Monday, November 5, 2012, and I do hope things are well with you. As if we needed another indication that the world is gone absolutely berserk, I have to share this one with you. From my viewpoint, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have so upped the ante on what it means to be absurd, but perhaps its better that I report and you be the judge. There was an accident this past October 11, in Irvine, California where a truck transporting fish for market collided with two other vehicles. The fish were being kept alive with oxygen to keep them fresh. All 1600 pounds perished in the crash. PETA responded by requesting that a sign be put up to commemorate the loss of life. Here's some excerpts from the newspaper article citing PETA's letter to the city: ....The sign would read, “In memory of hundreds of fish who suffered and died at this spot,” to remind tractor-trailer drivers of their responsibility to the animals who are “hauled to their deaths every day,” according to the letter. “Although such signs are traditionally reserved for human fatalities, I hope you'll make an exception because of the enormous suffering involved in this case,” the letter read. “Research tells us that fish use tools, tell time, sing, and have impressive long-term memories and complex social structures, yet fish used for food are routinely crushed, impaled, cut open, and gutted, all while still conscious." Just when I think it's time to say I've heard it all, bam! I will be relieved to find out later that this was a hoax, but I know it isn't because the Orange County Register, a very respected newspaper, got their copy of the letter from PETA. I think it's too late to add: "What's this world coming to?"

I no longer can have candy, or at least, not in any quantities that would satisfy even the slightest sugar urge. However, I did notice that Candy Corn continues to be the top seller for Halloween. It has been around for 100 years and still tops the list each year. Get ready for this one. They sell, on average, 20 million pounds per year. That's what I call food coloring by the box carload. What would be the runner up? I knew you would want to know that. It's Snickers. And, finally, for the door prize we've all been waiting for, here's you final Jeopardy answer: More candy is sold on this day than any other day in the year in the US. What's the answer in the form of a question? What happens on October 28? I suppose Candy Corn may have become more accessible than regular corn with the amount being harvested for fuel and the huge curtailment based on the past two drought years. But in the case of the candy flavor, I believe it is true to say you really can have your corn and eat it too. Here's what TV Chef Guy Fieri said about his experience with candy: "I was always a kid trying to make a buck. I borrowed a dollar from my dad, went to the penny candy store, bought a dollar's worth of candy, set up my booth and sold candy for five cents apiece. Ate half my inventory, made $2.50, gave my dad back his dollar." There's a lesson in there somewhere but since I'm a diabetic I'll let you ferret it out.

Tomorrow is Election Day. An important day for us all. One that will impact our lives and the lives of our progeny going forward. I know some folks on both sides that emphatically support their candidate. Some very close people to me will cast their vote for the President. We share blood. While I disagree with their rationale for this choice, I do not demonize them for exercising their right to express their choice. No doubt the overwhelming majority of those I am close to will vote Republican. Many of these reflect votes against the President more than a vote for Governor Romney. I also applaud their sense of duty in the casting of their vote. Therefore if you haven't done so yet, I urge you to respond to this privilege we have that so many have sacrified to preserve it for us. One of our great founders had this to say: "Let each citizen remember at the moment he is offering his vote that he is not making a present or a compliment to please an individual--or at least that he ought not so to do; but that he is executing one of the most solemn trusts in human society for which he is accountable to God and his country." (Samuel Adams) Those are some powerful words to end today's session. Yet, when we think of who it is who will occupy the so called most powerful position in the entire world, it's good to remember this: "The king's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Proverbs 21:1) That will do it for today. Have a good one and may God bless you and may He also bless and heal our land. Amen.      .....More later.

No comments: