Wednesday, November 14, 2012

One of the shining stars in our family, Happy Birthday, Lexie Dee!

It's Wednesday, November 14, 2012. Today we pause to recognize the 12th birthday of our granddaughter, Lexie Dee. Lexie is the middle child born to our youngest Rodney and his wife, Mitzi. As we all know every person is unique. Some are more unique than others, at least that's the way most grandchildren seem to their grandparents. In Lexie's case, that's an easy reach. She has always had a wonderful sense of humor, even as a toddler. She has the ability to make others feel good when she is with them. That's something very special and I hope she always carries that with her, wherever she goes. Recently she made the traveling volley ball team. She may not be the biggest or the baddest but she is a fierce competitor with spunk and spirit. She has a lot of poise and has always shown respect and love for her MiMi and Poppy. We thank God for our Lexie, one of the many stars in our cast of characters that make up our clan. Happy Birthday Sweetie and may God bless you, on this, your special day. Love, MiMi and Poppy.

Sometimes when I know I am going to be out on the road for a while, I take my portable satellite radio with me. The other day when I was traveling on that farm to market road I had it with me and I felt like I had hit the jackpot. It was a special day on the Old Time Radio channel. They were celebrating the birthday of Leonard Franklin Slye. Never heard of him? How about his celebrity name, Roy Rogers? During that trip to and from I was able to hear three different programs with him and his wife Dale Evans. The first was a guest visit on the The Charlie McCarthy Show recorded in 1942. Roy had to duel it out with Charlie. They exchanged some hilarious one liners. Writing back then was pretty clever folks, pretty clever indeed. Of course Charlie was the famous dummy who sat on the lap of comedian ventriloquist Edger Bergen. The next was an appearance on the Bob Hope Show. The last one was one of Roy's own programs from the early 1950's where the good guys always defeat the bad guys. What's that you say? I'm what? A foolish nostalgic time traveler? Good guess. And, it speaks for itself because I thoroughly enjoyed them all. What ever happened to that type of programming? Oh, that's right. We are much too sophisticated for that stuff today.

Speaking of memories, everyone knows how wonderfully blessed we are to still have mom with us. At 88 she actually seems to be in better health than many of us younger ones. This past weekend the high school in our Louisiana hometown had its annual homecoming. She had planned on attending because of a couple of her former classmates who were supposed to be there. They ended up not being able to come to represent the Class of 1942. She debated going or not going. She really does not like the limelight. Finally, she decided to go and ended up being the only one to represent their class which turned out to be the oldest class there. She had graduated 70 years ago and there she was, standing tall out on the gym floor. I've only been to one and that was my 20th back in 1984. I might go to the 50th in 2014 if I am still around. I would have to hang around until 2034 to match her. There's no doubt that she is a pretty amazing lady and we thank God for her, and dad. I suppose that's enough reminiscing for one day. I do hope you will have a blessed day. Amen.      .....More later.

No comments: