Friday, November 30, 2012

"Being busy does not always mean real work. The object of all work is production or accomplishment and to either of these ends there must be forethought, system, planning, intelligence, and honest purpose, as well as perspiration. Seeming to do is not doing." Thomas Edison

Yes. It's that time again. Wake up and smell the Community. Hey. You tell it your own way and I'll continue to do the same. It's good to bring some closure to this post Thanksgiving workweek here on this Friday, the 30th and last day of November, 2012. Tomorrow starts a busy next few days for us. First thing in the morning we do a Santa and Mrs. Claus breakfast. On Sunday we do Santa photos with our children in our local fellowship at their birthday party for Jesus. Next Tuesday evening we do our first Chic-fil-A of the year, Wednesday is pot luck night and Bible study. Thursday evening we do another Chic-fil-A. Friday is our Sunday Bible Study Class Christmas party. And, the Saturday after that we are excited to be appearing over in Jasper, Texas at a Pizza place. We then catch our breath and get ready for about six more dates but fortunately they are more spread out. We are not complaining because we signed up for this adventure and are blessed to be able to work with so many wonderful people, along with the beautiful children who come to see us. We enjoy doing the charity work where we are able to give some back in venues where the children we visit have so little. My mom often expresses concern, knowing how hot natured I am. I am looking into one of those cooling vests as a way of helping this situation. The other day at the photographer's studio we had a family come in, and the elderly grandma came along as well. It was a husband, wife, boy, and girl along with a Teacup Yorkie Dog. That was my first Santa with animal photo, and yes, they did want one with the dog by himself with Santa. Grandma was fascinated by my uniform. She kept asking the photographer where she was able to find such a wonderful costume. The photographer was a little surprised by this and finally blurted out, "What can I say? He's Santa!"


There have been all kinds of remembrances put forth about the life and times of Larry Hagman, the TV actor who passed away last week. He is best known for his portrayal of J.R. on the long running series, Dallas, that was on from 1978-1991. We well remember him from 'I Dream of Jeanie' which was so far fetched it was actually funny, in spots. TV does have an influence on folks, all over the world. I actually enjoyed a dinner served at the set on the ranch where Dallas was filmed. I was there as part of a conference and the event was hosted by one of the major telecom companies. I toured the museum on the property and learned quite a bit about the show since I had never really sat down and watched even one episode. I do remember all the hoopla over who shot J. R. I heard the other day that the episode that revealed the shooter is the second most watched in history, trailing only the final episode of Mash. When we were in Scotland in the fall of 1993 the folks over there were still talking about J. R., Dallas, and how that people in Texas all own big ranches and oil wells and drive huge Cadillacs, your know, with the over sized set of longhorn cattle horns mounted on the hood. They were let down a little when they found out we didn't live on a big ranch and somewhat disappointed that we were not wearing hats and boots. And, they were not joking. Can a television program influence folks far and wide? Might make us all a little more careful with what is passed off as 'must see' stuff that our children are taking in.

Thanks so much to all of you who take the time to read what has to be scatter gun material at times. I know there must be times when you leave my page wondering what in the world is he thinking. Don't feel bad about that because I do the exact same thing. Also, I don't take it personally when someone looks at the same situation and ends up seeing it differently. That's not to say I don't reserve the right to think someone is wrong in their way of looking at it, but, that goes both ways as well. Some have asked me if doing these daily blogs are an outlet for me. Could be. Maybe more like an explosion of sorts, you know, incoming, duck and run for cover. One would have to know that I enjoy doing them and typically, but not always, I have something to share. The days when I have nothing to share I just go ahead with it anyway. You noticed. Good. Because I am glad you are keeping score. You have noticed that I share my faith as a part of my approach. This is intentional. I share Bible accounts because I know quite a few of them, having studied a fair amount over the past 50 years. I was talking one time about the radio program that features a fellow called the Bible Answer Man. A guy standing near us called out to me, "Hey, I thought you were the Bible answer man." I appreciated his thought but let me be clear, the more of the age rings I add to my tree of life here on the planet, it is the more I recognize just how little I really do know about God and His word. But, I do know this: Anyone can become God's own dear child by putting their faith in His provision of a Savior, His one and only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. How? "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved?" (Romans 10:13) Even the Sunday School kids can tell you about that one. How do I know? They can sing: "For the Bible tells me so." Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and Lord willing I'll be here again, bright and early, okay, perhaps, just early, on Monday morning. May God bless. Amen.          ....More later.

No comments: