Friday, November 2, 2012

"A well-spent day brings happy sleep." Leonardo da Vinci

Here I am again. It's Friday, November 2, 2012, and I'm glad to report that contrary to what some might think, I'm still up and going. It's been an interesting last few days but even though I have been rather busy at times, I do know some of the resulting benefits. Typically, I do not have to be rocked to sleep at night. I'm sure part of that comes from the long days I put in that are often bathed in a few spurts of intensity. This explanation is consistent with my grandfather's prescription for a good night's rest. I count that as a huge blessing, especially given the number of commercials running for products that promise help to those who have trouble sleeping. And, I am very much aware of family and friends who do struggle with sleep related issues. I typically check my clock throughout the night. It doesn't interfere with my rest. However, there are times when I don't. Occasionally, I have no recollection from the time my head hit the pillow until I wake up. My mom says that my grandfather when asked how well he slept used to say this: "I don't know because I didn't stay awake to find out." I try to hit that same target as often as I can. Again, no bragging here, just thankful for God's blessings even in something like a good night's sleep.

Our stuff on the side of the road, Hurricane Ike, September 2008
The scenes coming from our eastern shores are all too familiar for those of us who live near the gulf coast. The fatality count continues to climb. Desperation has come to many who are stuck with no electrical power and no way to get out. Sadness all around. Yet, our President was right to point out the bright lights that shine during these times of dark calamities. He mentioned the first responders, hospital workers, and those working around the clock to try and get things going again. Flash back: I remember the off duty Houston firefighter who knocked on our door and told us that based on his experience we should seriously consider not staying in our home until something could be done about that huge tree. He was walking the neighborhood looking for folks that might need assistance. The political pundits are buzzing. They are talking photo opportunities so the President can look presidential. Does that make you want to throw up, or what? Governor Christie of New Jersey can be rather blunt. When he was asked about the election scheduled for next week he more or less told the reporters that at the moment he could care less because he had people stranded, and facilities destroyed. He knows the election is important but compared to people still in harm's way, there has to be some sense of priority and respect. Respect for what's most important. Maybe like knocking on someone's door and checking on them and giving them your best advice.

I suppose there are days when we all feel a little off in terms of direction. You know. When you come to the fork in the road, take it. But we can still have a song to sing as we continue our journey. In fact, here's a part of an inspired song: "To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of the sons of Korah. A Song for Alamoth. God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble." (Psalm 46:1, New King James Version) We forget sometimes that the Book of the Psalms are songs that were sung by God's people, Israel. The Chief Musician would set the words to a tune so that people could be reminded with music and words about the unchanging nature of their God. If you find this song in your Bible you will see how it adds great emphasis to this truth about how God is always there regardless of what is going on around us. I highly commend it to your day, whatever might be going on in your life. Here's how it ends: "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah (Verses 10-11) Many scholars believe the musical notation Selah indicated a spot where one should stop and meditate upon what was just sung. That would not be a bad way for us all to start our day. May God bless each one as we seek to honor Him with the life He has given to us. Amen. See you next time, Lord willing.          ......More later.

No comments: