Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Life can sometimes be like showing up at the grocery store only to find out that all your coupons have expired.

Hello and welcome. It is Tuesday, November 6, 2012. According to one source, Republicans have won every Presidential election since 1860 when the date falls on the 6th of November. I didn't check it out but you can if you like. Just offering up a little red state excitement for all you fans out there. Have you ever felt like you are stuck in the fast lane of life but going way too slow with your blinker still on? Me neither. But, the question came to mind and I thought I would ask. Today's world does require multi-tasking where we are trying to juggle as many different activities in the air, all at the same time. It was when I was on the phone, answering emails, looking up information, and doing other duties as assigned, all at the same time, well, that's when I discovered that little problem with the missing coffee cup up under the one cup coffee maker. That clean up on Aisle One will get you every time. It not only gets your attention along with using up a half roll of paper towels but it reminds us all that sometimes we need to just slow down a little and maybe try to operate in a slightly less hectic environment. In my case, it is pretty much self inflicted. Pretty much. I do have to give credit where credit is due because I do have those who do their best to make their very own special contributions to my frenetic and ongoing discombobulation.

I've said all of that to say this. I'm doing pretty good. How about you? The Friday before my vacation I did take a little tumble. I had been up at the main office working on a project. On my way back to my office I stepped down and my ankle went one way and I went the other. The other turned out to be a free fall, but, thankfully I caught myself. I actually caught myself using one knee, one elbow, and the two palms of my hands. Only one person saw me all sprawled out on the asphalt. He was a customer here on a project. He ran out to where I was doing my best to make sure he knew there was nothing to see. I've known this fellow for several years and he showed great and genuine concern. I assured him I was fine. I made a joke about old people and although I really wanted to throw up, I acted as if everything was okay. That ankle has been doing that to me from since I was in my teens. It does choose some odd times to go all wacko on me. I was sure glad no one else saw. Saturday afternoon I received a call from my good friend, brother in Christ, and owner of the company. He wanted to know if I was okay because he had heard I had fallen. I told him I was fine and asked how he found out. Our shop foreman had told him. News travels fast but I am thankful that I wasn't really hurt much at all and also grateful for those who care. That little fall reminded me that you just never know when you might find yourself in a position where you have to look up. It's good to know that when you do, God is there. Amen.

Now don't go getting any ideas that my age played into that scenario. It sure didn't a long time ago when the same thing happened while I was walking in the downtown business district. Myself and an associate were on our way to a meeting when I stepped onto an uneven spot on the sidewalk. I went down like a ton of bricks, my business suit was soiled, and my briefcase and papers were strewn everywhere. He kept walking. When he finally came back I couldn't talk because I hadn't caught my breath yet. He leaned over and more or less inquired as to what exactly I was doing. After a few minutes and he saw I was okay he just started laughing. He laughed and laughed. It must have been a real sight for sore eyes. Or maybe for a sore ankle and an even more bruised ego. I suppose I have been blessed that the ankle has only gotten itself all bent out of joint every 5 years or so, or, I might just be starring on one of those viral videos on You Tube. I guess in my case it would be: Fall and the whole world laughs with you, or maybe better put, at you. That is, of course, after they know I am okay. They would want to know that before they laughed, wouldn't they? That was way too long of a pause. I close by saying that whether you are UP or DOWN, if you know the Lord, He's there to watch over you. Have a great day and may God bless. Amen.          .....More later.

No comments: