Monday, November 26, 2012

"Cash, check or charge?" the cashier asked after folding items the woman wished to purchase. As the woman fumbled for her wallet, the cashier noticed a remote control for a television set in her purse. "Do you always carry your TV remote?" the cashier asked."No," she replied. "But my husband refused to come shopping with me, so I figured this was the most evil thing I could do to him." (copied)

 *****I was here at 4:40 a.m. I showed up. Some folks enjoyed fried turkey but we had our own issue this morning with fried modem. When we left last Wednesday afternoon every thing was hunky-dory but obviously the network gremlins were busy while we were away. But here I am. It's 11:55 a.m. and I only had to spend about 30 minutes on the phone to determine we would have to wait for quite a while before having someone come in to replace the fried modem and oh by the way, they wouldn't pay for it anyway. So our owner went out and bought one and spent the last couple of hours getting it all configured and working. But I'm back and business. Thanks for waiting!*****
 
Welcome back and greetings from the land where the antelope play and cornbread dressing rules! It is back to work Monday, here on this November 27, 2012. What a great celebration we enjoyed and I do hope you did also. I was reading an older lady's posting on Facebook about how terrible the televised American Music Awards were. She said the show was horrible, the entertainers were scandalous, and the music shouldn't even be called by that name. We knew that before it started. That's why we switched to Border Wars, Rio Bravo starring John Wayne, and the new season episode of Alaska State Troopers. That lady couldn't believe what she was watching. But, she was watching. This is America. You do not have to watch any show you don't want to watch. Change the channel already! (Our view was obviously shared by the overwhelming majority because this year's AMA show had the lowest ratings in its history and lost to practically everything else that was on at that time.) The other day I was talking with my son about the fact that I would be missing an interview program that I wanted to see. He reminded me that I have DVR capability. That's good to know but it most likely requires a level of understanding how to use it, and for a fellow who hasn't advanced to text messaging yet, well, I told him maybe they would be replaying it later. See what I mean? It really is difficult to be me.

Yes, Virginia, it is still only November but the wife and I have already logged over 15 hours of portraying our version of Santa and Mrs. Claus. The show at the big hotel was something else. Just two hour sessions of photo snapping at a time but when they are lined up as far as the eye can see, typically, there is a level of chaos that ensues. After our final but unbelievably busy Sunday afternoon session, one lady asked me how it went. I told her it was 90 plus minutes of sheer terror punctuated by interludes of sheer joy served up by some of the most wonderful kiddos I've ever seen. I think I describe it the same way every year. This is the first year my wife is working most of the events with me. That has made a huge difference since she can warm up those who are shy before they make their grand entrance. We also had a genuine funniest video moment when a big fellow trying to make a family portrait tripped behind me and took down the entire backdrop. We were delayed for at least 20 minutes and as they say, meanwhile, the natives were getting to be very restless indeed. Oh what fun it is to.........

Being a bonafide Poppy, I do have some experience with the little ones. There are those who require a little more care and a little more time than others. One lady came up to me after the program and said her little boy was thrilled that Santa had taken the time to hear him out. She said he couldn't stop talking about it. She said it is a memory he will always treasure. I told you. I am in the memory making business. I do have to hand it to the people who do the photography for these special events. They must have nerves of steel. The set gets knocked down. Some folks don't like this, that, or the other. Sometimes entire families show up including both sets of grandparents. They are flashing photos like we are on the red carpet. The photographer cannot do the finished photo until all the flashing stops. We all know a job like that requires special skills. But, what about old fashioned patience? They have to have tons of it. I am not exaggerating one little bit. Trying to fit a dozen girls who are a part of a local dance class into a set built for half that number, well, all I can say is my Santa hat is off to those who dare to take on these kinds of tasks. There really are too many special stories to share and to tell you the truth, anytime you can see an afflicted child's eyes light up and know you were a small part of that memory, it does keep me keeping on. Or jingling on. Or maybe, just a jangle here and there. Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen    .....More later.

No comments: