Friday, March 2, 2012

What is a parrot? It's a WORDY BIRDIE!

I started to say we need to stop meeting like this but that wouldn't be right at all since I call this meeting on a regular basis, typically Monday through Friday, often at some very early hours. Hello once again where we find ourselves embracing another Friday, this one happens to be March 2, 2012. We just more or less slipped ourselves into March and I don't know about you but it seems to me that it got here quicker than it used to. I've been rather wordy this week, therefore, I will try and make today's episode a little more reasonable. I know exactly what you are thinking. Saying anything about me being wordy is like saying the ocean is typically wet. But, at least I recognize it. At 65.5 and counting I wouldn't even want to think about thinking about trying to do something about it. And, for what it's worth, it does reflect the me that I am, and while I am constantly working on areas that need improvement, I would worry about any changes to my writing style for fear that it could end up being worse as a result. Yes, I am aware of the fact that editing might help. I well remember a memo I did to introduce the new telephone directory for the big company where I used to work. Because it was a corporate wide communication I had to submit that memo to the PR group for review. I wrote that memo pretty much the way I write my blogs. It came back to me butchered and mutilated. I was so happy with it I took my name off of it and sent it out with the department name only. See what I mean? Don't mess with Texas and don't mess with how I arrange words on the page. Everyone who worked in my group thought it was pretty funny. I didn't. I still don't. You guessed that part. Right?

Please don't try and figure out a psychological angle to this because I am certainly not that deep. Although I think I recall my wife saying at least once or twice that I might enjoy correcting other people more than being corrected myself. Fancy that. I do have some fans that I am very proud of. Week before last I missed Sunday evening service because my wife was in the hospital. A lady who is not a member of our local fellowship but brings her children to our Bible Club told me that when they showed up on that evening her two year old son was very perplexed because I wasn't there to greet them. Now, that's the kind of recognition I enjoy! The other afternoon I was at a business. The people there all call me Santa. They actually write Santa on the work orders they process for me. I happened to be there when a little girl got off the bus to come and wait for her mom to get off from work. The little girl was Hispanic, maybe 8 or 9 years old. She came over to where I was standing and I bent over and shook hands with her and said hello. She smiled broadly and blurted out, "I'm still waiting on my laptop!" What a surprise from such a sweet little girl. I've told you many times before that it doesn't take that much to make my day, and those kinds of stories are special to me. What's that you say? Maybe I do need to see an analyst. You wouldn't wish that on anyone. Would you?

I ask that you say a prayer for my step sister, Miriam. At 61, she is in her third year of battling ALS, (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), typically called Lou Gehrig's disease. This is one of the most debilitating and hideous diseases on the planet. This week she was admitted to the hospital with double pneumonia. She is very critical at this time. She is in God's hands. Miriam has been able to be cared for at home throughout this struggle. Family have provided most of the hands on care. In particular, Christopher, their son, has been her primary care provider. He has been remarkable throughout this journey. We don't know how this latest challenge will go but we know the One who does, and we seek His help for her and for her family at this time. As my grandfather would have said, "Life can be a tough row to hoe." That's why we need the Lord and that's why we need each other. I know we have some real prayer warriors that actually read my blog each day. Thanks for being there on behalf of us all when a need is shared. Sometimes we all feel helpless but we can always intercede through prayer on behalf of those who are suffering. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Lord willing I will be here again on Monday, doing my own little wordy birdie thing. Until then, quoting Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol, "God bless us, every one!" Amen.       ....More later.

No comments: