Monday, March 19, 2012

The grass may be greener on the other side, but always remember, it will eventually have to be mowed.

Yes. I am still here. It's a very early good morning to you all on this Monday, March 19, 2012. As they say, "Another day, another dollar." But that's not all that is said in that little lingo ditty. It's fill in the blank time and you can play along too. Another day, another ________. Here's how some other folks filled in that blank. Another day, another adventure....another diaper.....another bailout..... another gas price increase....another tragedy ....another rant....another day....another political poll.....another computer virus. And, that's only a sampling of those I found out on the web. Noticing the theme in the ones I did look at showed a tendency towards filling the blank in with all the negatives that surround our lives. I can't speak for everyone, but I do know that when we focus primarily on all the bad stuff going on it can begin to wear us down. It's not just the half full, half empty conundrum. Our outlook drives so much of our ability to function. In fact, economic experts will tell you in a heartbeat how that markets are mostly based on the feelings people have about how things are going. If we can get up each day and say: Another day, another opportunity to serve the Lord in whatever situation we find ourselves in, well, that might help both our attitude and our altitude. I said 'if', because to tell the truth that's somewhat difficult, at least on a consistent basis. But, it is a goal and it's a good one for us all to think about pursuing because when we do we might just fill in the blanks with a more positive vision of our surroundings. Another day, another opening paragraph that has done it again. It's left me scratching my head. Maybe I'll get it later.

We are all in this thing together. Thomas Jefferson had this to say: "If two people meet and exchange one dollar, both leave with that same one dollar. If two people meet and exchange an idea, both leave with two ideas." I can identify with that to a certain extent. Late in my management career at the big company I discovered the potential that came when I turned people loose. Several years before I left I determined that my control mentality, which is very common in management circles, was greatly hampering our ability to get more done. Anyone could have figured that out? Sorry. But sometimes the obvious is not always what is served up given the way in which an environment has always operated. I essentially turned my people loose to do good things for the Company. And that they did! However, it wasn't without its own set of issues. In giving folks a green light to be bold there will be times when things don't work out very well. I did get thumped on the head a number of times, however, the problems were miniscule compared to the outstanding accomplishments we experienced. That fact was not always recognized because most folks there, here, everywhere, make a big deal out of the things that don't go so well, often so much so, that it inhibits people in being ambitious. I saw my job as taking the heat for these problems while continuing to encourage my folks to keep on keeping on. Looking back I could not be more proud of all that we accomplished. How was it done? People were given permission to make things happen. Of course that was a long time ago and I now wonder if I gave myself permission would I have what it takes to get anything done. But, that particular development would be a different story, so, I will save it for another day. Confused yet? I'm still working on getting us all there.

I am aware that on some days people who do take the time to scan what I have written may come to this conclusion: "Has he lost his ever loving mind?" That's a good question but I would likely not be the one who could answer it. While I do take pride in sharing mostly what happens to come out when I sit at the keyboard, I too am often a little puzzled by it. When that happens, I have to remind myself that when it is all said and done, it is The View From Here.  Some 1240 episodes and counting, many of which often seem a little discombobulated and at times maybe even harder figure out than the spelling of Disney's: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I seem to remember that Alesha, our granddaughter, could actually spell that word when she was 5 or 6 years old. It took me a while just to find it because I couldn't get enough of the letters correct for the search engine to figure out what I was looking for. I can report that it is in the dictionary with a definition of it being a nonsense word for children taken from a song in the movie 'Mary Poppins'. In the midst (or mist, you choose) of this particular rather foggy blog I can leave you with something that does have life changing meaning and will help make this day, and every day, the best that it can be: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight". (He will direct your way!) Proverbs 3:5-6. Have a great Monday and may God bless each one. Amen.           .....More later

No comments: