Monday, March 12, 2012

If we had a day to honor soap operas, we all could pretend we are pregnant, and if arrested for any reason, we could fake our own death.

"Welcome back, Your dreams were your ticket out. Welcome back, To that same old place that you laughed about....." Yep. Those are the lyrics from the theme to that popular TV Series, 'Welcome Back Kotter', that played from 1975 through 1979. We watched that series some because it made us laugh. It's hard to talk to the younger workers about stuff like this because they didn't come along until the late 80's or early 90's. Some of them watched them a little on TV Land or maybe saw a clip on a documentary. How do you like that? The shows we know anything about are now showcased only on documentaries. But, it is Monday, March 12, 2012, and I do welcome you back to another episode of 'As the Blog Boogies'. That was supposed to be a take off on the old soap, 'As the World Turns', but I can't be held responsible for everything I write. Or can I? I wrote an email to an elderly preacher and told him I remember that when I was a kid he came and held a revival in our little rural town. He sent back a note where he recalled that his only recollection of our little community was how that when he and the pastor went for a walk, they could follow the soap opera being played on the radio from house to house as it blared out the window. We must have had a really good revival if that's all he remembered. I used to kid Granny Mac about her watching her favorite shows each day. She didn't like for me to criticize her stories as she called them. After we moved away and would come back she would be watching them and I would point out how that very little had changed on the show since I was last there, even months later. To put it mildly, she did not encourage me to become a TV critic. But, I suppose we all have our own real life soap opera to contend with each and every day. I think I heard at least one Amen on that one.

The rock band ZZ Top played the rodeo last week to a crowd of around 56,000. These guys are about my age. I know who they are. They have the beards that come nearly to their knees and according to the review, they are still able to rock their world. I read about them only because one of the guys, Billy Gibbons, went to our high school for a little while and he was in the same class with my sister. Some of the tweets that were recorded in the Houston Chronicle during the concert were pretty good. One concert watcher wondered if these two old dudes were in danger of having a heart attack the way they were playing. Then they quickly added that at least they were near the medical center, just in case. Is there something odd to you about these old people still doing rock concerts? I don't know what that says about them or the people who paid good money to go and see them. I'm not sure I would recognize even one of their songs but obviously they are well known for their dueling guitar prowess. I wouldn't know but that's okay. From what I read, the reviewer thought they only get better each time he sees them, and the crowd also loved them as well. Maybe they have figured out a way to deal with old Uncle Arthur better than I have. It's not just a small world after all, it's also a strange one. Don't you agree?

The other day when we were at the heart center with the wife I couldn't help but notice the excellent care she received. Yes, we do complain about where medical coverage is headed but when it comes to many of the people that deliver the care, they are just outstanding. The business lady was so nice. However, I'm still trying to ponder what she meant when she told me that if I received a bill for the full amount that I should not worry because they are working all of that out with my wife's insurance company. Hello? I sure hope she knows what she is talking about. The nurses and technicians and the doctor himself were all super professional and very courteous. I even enjoyed monkeying around with that fancy coffee maker. It was one of those Keurig devices that makes one cup at a time. They did not have Community in any of those little containers. But, they had one called eye opener and I found that if I selected the short cup on that one, it came out a little on the thick side, hot, and a wonderful dark black. I think I used up at least three or four of those to go along with the several cups I drank at home and to accent the mug I had brought with me. Good coffee. Good folks to work with. And, good results. Now that made it a wonderful day. Amen and Amen. See you next time.           .....More later.

No comments: