Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Another good one from Yogi Berra: "If you ask me anything I don't know, I'm not going to answer." Too bad I never caught on to that one!

Hello Wednesday, March 14, 2012, we welcome you into our world. It had to happen sooner or later. I was at the huge mega store where supposedly they sell more for less, in the checkout lane, doing my best to be a cooperative customer. The lady doing the checkout was pretty much tied to her chair because of a physical handicap. Therefore, I lifted up the water bottles and put them on the conveyor because I knew she couldn't scan it otherwise. After she scanned it I reached to pick them up so I could put them back on the bottom of my basket. I heard a sweet female voice, "Sir, I will be glad to help you with that." I turned and there at my elbow was a late twenty something, 100 pound lady and she and her husband were both sporting their jogging attire. "That will not be necessary ma'am but I do appreciate it." What in the world is going on? Do I look that decrepit? I will admit that the package shifted and I paused to get a better grip but for land's sake, give me a break! Yes. I know she was trying to be courteous and kind and take note that I did say thank you but talk about a slap upside the head. She looked like she needed weights to hold her onto the parking lot in a light wind, yet she offered to help me with the bottled water. It reminded me of that story about the boy who got into trouble for helping the little old lady to cross the street. It turned out that the little old lady had no intention of crossing the street. See what I mean? I'm learning that there's a huge responsibility in wearing the white hair. It's not as easy as you might think.

That was a first but I'm sure there are more where that one came from. It's part of the aging process, or so I'm learning. I need to find me some self help videos to get me prepared for these types of things in the future. Just kidding. I wouldn't watch them anyway. I suppose I would rather be surprised. Yeah. That and the fact that these little slices of life give me something to share as we all go merrily along our way in our sojourn here. Maybe that lady had watched the movie "Up" one too many times with her kids. That movie has been played at our house a few dozen times because our Alexander Benjamin likes it. It is about the little scout who needed to help an elderly person in order to earn his final badge. The old man in the film did not want the kid to help him do anything but the story goes on and they build a bonding and it ends up being a sweet little movie. That may be exactly what happened. She watched that movie, came to the store, and I became a target. Maybe I could come up with a disguise. What's that you say? You thought I was already wearing one. Let me do the comedy here. Okay? I suppose I could blame it on the time change or that mid life crisis deal but I've probably used those up over the years. Maybe she was just trying to help? Why don't I just get over it? When did I ever indicate that it even bothered me in the least? Okay. I've taken a deep breath and will now try to hobble my way forward.

Before I get cards and letters, please accept the fact that what I have written about this mournful experience is all for fun, tongue in cheek, just for grins and chuckles. I suppose it was inevitable that with God's grace I would arrive at this juncture in life. I was with some older people recently. They wanted to talk about how that their being in their 80's was nothing anymore given the lifespans people are living today. I suppose that's one way to look at it. That was a positive part of our conversation. The rest of it mostly dealt with all the trials and troubles that older folks face. This means, I will, if I continue to live, be forced one day to act my age, and that's not something I've worked on very much throughout my sojourn. And, I don't mean to imply what you might be thinking. In many ways I was born older. The life God had for us in our little family was one filled with joy but also with the reality of just how serious life can be. Too serious was the way many folks used to describe my demeanor. I've always been the object of those who say 'Lighten up buddy.' And, I think that is good advice. However, as I have often observed, we all are who we are based on all that has happened to us in life. The only thing we can really brag about is our identity with the Lord God of heaven through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. He gives us joy. He provides us with blessings. To one who is serious and to one who tends to be silly. That's our common bond. It takes a whole lot of 'one of a kinds' to make things work in this old world. I'm thankful He saw this one of a kind with all the issues I carry and He loved me any way, and, that my friend, is why we can get up and go each day. And, thankfully, we can laugh a little as we deal with the weebling and wobbling of life. Amen.      .....More later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog