Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Here's what Yogi had to say about baseball talent: "He hits from both sides of the plate. He is amphibious."

We may not have gotten much of that hyped up hope over the past several years, but we did get change. I haven't heard that one liner used yet, "Are you better off today than you were four years ago?" I wouldn't think the current administration will be rolling that one out anytime soon. But not everyone feels the way I do about it. My wife recently found out there are some who not only are true believers in the hope and change hype, but they drank the Koolaid, every single drop. She mentioned something about the upcoming election and a coworker let her know exactly where she stood on that subject, for the President, yesterday, today, tomorrow, and forever, Amen. Speaking of change, how's the time change thingy working for you on this Tuesday, March 13, 2012? We had some at our local meeting of our fellowship on Sunday who failed to make the adjustment and when they found out about it, well, let's just say it was later than they thought it was. Or something like that. I did that one time and only one time, back in the early 1970's. Being the 'me' that I am, when we did arrive at the Church, I immediately wondered what all those people thought they were doing getting there ahead of me. Someone actually had the audacity to have parked in the space I usually occupied! People thought it was rather funny, and I might add, I think they thought so because it was me. I hate it when my humanity shows itself to be so obvious. Having found no one else to blame I ended up having to put it on yours truly. That one incident has plagued me because it caused me to give up my right to criticize those who have done the same thing. I hate it when it happens like that. Know what I mean?

I suppose having the additional daylight is a good thing. Right? I'm not so sure since the concept of using it on leisure activities are pretty much off the table for most folks trying to make it through this economic tumult. Believe it or not, the experts are still debating whether this changing of our clocks, twice a year, is a good or bad thing for life itself, and in particular, for the economy. Does it cost or does it save energy? Some have tried to estimate the actual cost of making this change. For you and I, we simply make a change to our clocks. But, think about the businesses that are schedule dependent, like airlines, and all other forms of transportation. All schedules have to be adjusted along with those that coordinate schedules. Some actually think there's a huge deficit in people productivity until each person's body adjusts to the new schedule. That would cost time which means money. In fact, there is some research that indicates a significant increase in heart failures occur in and around the time change. They theorize that it has something to do with the alarm going off at a different time causing the body to have to respond with an unscheduled burst of blood pressure and adrenaline. In fact, the article I read pretty much said we should be very careful with daylight savings, because it could kill you. I haven't noticed that kind of impact on myself but I will tell you this, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out there are many things we are not aware of when it comes to changes like this. Often we end up being manipulated by the powers that have their own vested interests at stake. No. I am not being an alarmist, but, I do think it only prudent for us all to think seriously on things like this. Know what I mean?

I suppose there are many subjects that fall into the category of: If we only knew. I had a discussion with some men the other evening about our experiences in and out of obtaining health care. One fellow was talking about his situation where the system tended to do what was in its best interest, financially, as opposed to giving him the full picture of options that impacted his quality of life going forward. He came to this conclusion after the fact. Way after. That doesn't surprise me and it shouldn't surprise any of us. What many of us fail to think about is how that behind our need for medical treatment there is a system that requires funding for it to thrive. When we are at the point of contact, our emotions are often a major influence in our response. It happens to all of us. We are not so inclined to view the delivery of needed care in terms of it being a business transaction, but it is. Big time. Whatever it takes to move the decision process out of the 'heat of the moment' is something we need to think about, before, not after. I am not trying to plant seeds of doubt. I know it is important to have confidence in those who take care of one's medical needs. At the same time, today's delivery system is not like any we have ever interacted with, therefore, we must learn to take care to make sure we have all the facts, and, that we are able to make up our own minds about the approach, timing, and even the what, when, and where of treatment. Just saying. A word to the wise. A stitch in time. Straight from the horse's mouth. Money talks. Before going under the knife. Before you are left high and dry. Know what I mean? Have a great Tuesday and may God bless us, one and all. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: